3D Printing with Sugar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
This is very cool. It's made of sugar, using a 3D printer. Could be interesting on a cake.

3d-printed-sugar-0.jpg

These delicate geometric forms are "3D printed" from sugar

Whoa! Love it!

I tried it with my printer, poured sugar on it, put in the picture, it didn't work. :(

Last edited:
I wonder how much a 3D printer costs.

I just Googled it. They seem to start at ~$2,500. Oh well.

How cool is that? Pretty cool, I say. Wait, we need to take up a collection to buy one for bakechef. He can make the flowers for the wedding cake! :w00t2:

How cool is that? Pretty cool, I say. Wait, we need to take up a collection to buy one for bakechef. He can make the flowers for the wedding cake! :w00t2:
I think that would be a wonderful thing to do. But isn't the wedding in about three weeks? I don't think we can collect that much and get it shipped in time for him to use it for wedding cake flowers. On the other hand, if we had a few months to collect it, we could give it to him as a belated wedding present. I think he could find uses for it.

So, do we want to try to do this? Or is it just too much money to try to collect from a forum?

Last edited:
One of our longstanding members, GB, works (worked) for a company that makes 3D printers. Some of the stuff he showed us was amazing.

3D printers have graduated from making a model of an item for demonstration purposes to making working parts for actual products.

Google 3D printer and click on images to see a selection of what's possible.

I think that would be a wonderful thing to do. But isn't the wedding in about three weeks? I don't think we can collect that much and get it shipped in time for him to use it for wedding cake flowers. On the other hand, if we had a few months to collect it, we could give it to him as a belated wedding present. I think he could find uses for it.

So, do we want to try to do this? Or is it just too much money to try to collect from a forum?

Taxy, I was just being flippant! It WOULD be wonderful to do, but think of how many of us are really active (and if I'm going to get any gardening or garage sale organizing done I'm going go have to go cold turkey from DC for a while) and would be chipping in? A dozen? 15 or 20? Besides, I'm basically cheap. I wasn't planning on parting with any real money. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom