Amish Friendship Bread Starter worked way too well?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pathar

Assistant Cook
Okay, here's the deal: I just used the recipe for Amish Friendship Bread Starter from allrecipes and wound up with six cups instead of four after the Day 10 step. I can't find any indication of this happening to anyone else, so I don't know if it's a freak occurrence or what. Does this mean that my yeast was super effective or died right away? Does this mean that the results are just fine, or poisonous to mammals? I'm kind of at a loss.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Well, I made my first batch, and we've eaten one of the loaves and neither of us is dead. So that's good. I can't shake the feeling, as I make the bread, that I don't really need the sourdough starter. I would say I should experiment, but since I have five more starters ... :P

Well, I made my first batch, and we've eaten one of the loaves and neither of us is dead. So that's good. I can't shake the feeling, as I make the bread, that I don't really need the sourdough starter. I would say I should experiment, but since I have five more starters ... :P

The purpose of a Friendship bread is to pass it (the starter) and the recipe on to your friends or make new friends. Has a long tradition in small communities. Very nice way to connect by "breaking bread" or sharing bread together. Wiki story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish_Friendship_Bread

In essence, the starter is a sponge, a baking term, for jump starting the fermentation process for good development, making it rise faster. There are many types of starters, etc. Check out the Wiki entry: Pre-ferment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more information.

Hope that helps and I'm glad you are both still around:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I wish I had an answer to your question Patrick. I was a participant with this thing more than 30 yrs ago, and don't remember much about it, but I do remember adding canned fruit to the starter. I remember the cake being really good too. Ahhhh yes, I also remember begging people to take a cup of my starter.....it's all coming back to me now. I think that's right about the time I stopped baking. :LOL:
Looks like some good information there Fiona.....going to check it out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom