Apple recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
I will be going apple picking this weekend and wondered if you guys could offer me some of your favorite apple recipes. Thanks!

my fav!
apple2.gif

Apple Butter

8 lbs. apples (Johnathan, Winesap, Golden Delicious or MacIntosh)
2 cups apple cider
2 cups cider vinegar
2 1/4 cups white sugar
2 1/4 cups brown sugar
2 tbls. cinnamon
2 tbls. ground cloves

Wash, remove stems, quarter and core fruit.
Cook slowly in cider and vinegar until soft.
Press fruit through fruit mill or strainer.
Cook fruit pulp with sugar and spices, stirring frequently, till done .

Test for doneness by spooning a small amount on a plate. When a rim of liquid does not separate around the edge of the apple butter, it is ready.
Fill hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headroom. Adjust lids and seal.

Good Luck!

BAKED APPLES WITH DATES, ALMONDS AND RUM

4 servings

1/3 stick unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup dark rum
½ cup apple juice
½ cup brown sugar
2 large egg yolks
1T heavy cream
1tsp. minced fresh ginger
2tsp. flour
1tsp. lemon pel
¼ cup toasted almonds
6 pitted dates, chopped
4 large apples
Additional melted butter/whipped cream

Preheat oven to 350. Mix ¼ cup butter, rum and apple juice in 8x8 glass baking dish. Mix sugar, egg yolks, 1T cream, ginger, flour, lemon peel and 1 ½ T butter in small bowl til smooth; mix in almonds and dates.
Using melon baller, scoop out stem end and entire core of apples, careful to leave bottom intact. Using vegetable peeler, remove 1 inch wide strip of peel from about top of cavity. Pack cavities to top with almond mixture; arrange apples in prepared dish; brush surface with additional melted butter.
Bake til tester meets little resistance, brushing occasionally with juices and covering loosely with foil if filling is browning too quickly, about 45 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream.

At my work we have about 15 apple trees of many varieties: yellow delicious, mcintosh, Arkansas black, etc. People come from all over to pick apples. I just may have to make this apple crisp this weekend.

SC

Grandma's Apple Crisp
www.bettycrocker.com

Total: 50 min
Prep: 20 min
Bake: 30 min
Makes 6 servings

4 medium tart cooking apples, sliced (4 cups)
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
½ cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¾ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Cream or ice cream, if desired

1. Heat oven to 375ºF. Grease bottom and sides of square pan, 8x8x2 inches.

2. Arrange apples in pan. Mix remaining ingredients except cream. Sprinkle over apples.

3. Bake about 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender. Serve warm with cream.

These are wonderful.

Apple Cheddar Gratin
2 pounds Granny apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 c raisins
1/2 ts cinnamon
1/4 c lemon juice
3/4 c brown sugar, packed
1/2 c flour
1/8 ts salt
1/4 c butter, softened
1 c sharp cheddar cheese, grated

1.Arrange apples in a well buttered 1 quart casserole. Sprinkle with raisins, cinnamon and lemon juice.
2.With a fork, stir together the brown sugar, flour, salt, butter and cheese until crumbly; sprinkle over the apples.
3.Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until apples are tender.

Apple and Cream Lasagna
9 Fresh lasagna noodles
1/3 c Butter
6 Granny smith apples, peeled,cored and sliced
1/3 c Brown sugar, packed
1/2 c Toasted and chopped pecans
2 ts Ground cinnamon
1 block Cream cheese,softened
1 Egg
1 ts Vanilla
1 c Whipping cream, whipped to peaks
1/2 c Fresh breadcrumbs
1/4 c Granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 300F
1.In saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Add apples, cover and cook 10 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in 3 tb brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon; set aside.
2.Place cream cheese and remaining brown sugar in large bowl. Beat 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
3.Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture in thirds, and set aside.
4.Melt remaining butter. In small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, sugar and melted butter.
5.Spread half of the apple mixture in bottom of a 11x7 baking dish. Layer with 3 noodles. Spread with half of cream cheese mixture, and layer with 3 more noodles. Spread with remaining apple mixture and layer with last three noodles.
6.Top with remaining cream mixture and sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture. Bake for 30 minutes. Let stand 20 minutes before serving.

Thanks everyone , these recipes sound great. What do I do with apple butter?

I got this one from an episode of Emeril a couple of years ago. It's great. I bake this in my 12" cast iron skillet. It's kind of a cross between a spice cake, and pineapple upside-down cake, except it uses apples instead of pineapples.

Sour Cream Apple Cake
Yield: 12 servings

1 ½ # cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced, such as Granny Smith
1 ½ t ground cinnamon, in all
¾ t fresh grated nutmeg, in all
2 c + 1 T sugar, in all
1 ½ sticks of butter, softened, in all
2 ¼ c flour
½ t baking powder
1 ½ t baking soda
1 t salt
2 eggs
1 t pure vanilla extract
1 c sour cream
2 c sweetened whipped cream, optional

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Using an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle, cream the remaining sugar and remaining stick of butter together. Sift together the 1 t cinnamon, ¼ t nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, salt and flour together. Add the eggs, vanilla and sour cream to the butter mixture. Beat until smooth. Add the sifted flour mixture, a little at a time. Beat until smooth.
In a mixing bowl, toss the apples with ½ t of the cinnamon, ½ t of the nutmeg, and 1 T on the sugar. In a large oven-proof skillet, combine ½ stick of the butter and ½ c of the sugar, over medium-high heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture caramelizes and becomes syrupy. Spread the apples evenly over the bottom of the pan. Remove from the heat. Pour the batter over the apples. Bake for about 40 minutes or until golden and the cake pulls away from the sides. Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes. Invert the cake onto a platter and serve warm. Garnish with whipped cream.

This Danish applesauce torte is a dessert I’ve made often over the years. It can vary in texture, depending on the applesauce (always freshly made!) and on how finely the almonds are grated. If you use the commercially grated almonds, the consistency will almost be similar to sponge cake; while, if you grate the almonds yourself (I use a microplane rotary grater) and leave them coarser, the top will be delightfully crunchy. Either way, it’s delicious.

Aeblegroed Med Mandeldejg

2 cups thick applesauce
1½ cups (a generous ¼ pound) ground, blaanched almonds
1½ Tbsp crystalline fructose (powdered fruit sugar)
3 large eggs, separate
heavy cream, whipped – for garnish

Preheat oven to 400° F.Use release spray to coat a 1-qt soufflé dish, or other deep baking dish of equivalent capacity.

Pour applesauce into prepared dish. Mix sugar with ground almonds and beat in egg yolks, individually. Mixture will be stiff. Whip egg white with a pinch of salt until frothy, add a ¼ tsp cream of tartar, and whip just until stiff peaks develop. Fold whites into yolk mixture. Pour combined mixture over the applesauce and bake for about 30 minutes.

Serve lukewarm with whipped cream, softened ice cream, or nutmeg-scented anglais.

Note: The most nutritiuous & eye-appealing applesauce is made from unpeeled apples. The flavour is more intense & the colour is a lovely deep pink (unless, of course, green-skinned apples are used). Adding the sugar & seasoning after the initial cooking also ensures your preferred sweetness level. My method:

1½ pounds apples (4 large)
8 fl. oz water (or unfiltered apple juice)
1/3 cup sugar (or to taste)
2 tsp lemon juice (or a couple drops of pure lemon extract)
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp freshly ground nutmeg

Wash, core, and slice apples. Combine apples & liquid in saucepan. Cover & cook over gentle heat, stirring occasionally, until apples are soft. Remove from heat & press sauce through a strainer or food mill to remove peel. Return applesauce to the pan; add sugar (or honey), lemon, cinnamon, and nutmeg and cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat & cool. Recipe can be doubled very successfully.

Some years ago, my friend, Janice, & I were served this Vienna Apple Cake. Later, she received the recipe from Werner Rosenbaum, one of Montreal’s foremost pastry chefs:

6 oz. butter
1½ oz slivered almonds
1½ cups flour
1 fl. oz. rum
pinch of salt
¾ cup apricot jam
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 cooking apples – peeled, cored, grated
4 large eggs
¼ tsp vanilla extract
zest of ½ lemon
½ cup powdered sugar

Heat oven to 350° F.

Place butter in a large mixing bowl; beat until creamy. In another bowl, beat eggs together w/ sugar and slowly and slowly add to creamed butter, mixing carefully.

Add almonds, grated apple, flour, rum, vanilla, salt, and lemon zest. Mix very gently for about 2 minutes.

Pour batter into a greased 9-inch cake pan. Bake for about 35-40 minutes. Turn out onto a wire grid to cool. But, while the cake is still warm, not hot, brush with an apricot glaze which is made by bringing apricot jam to a soft boil. (Strain the jam through a sieve it’s not clear.)

Add sufficient water to the powdered sugar to make a thin icing and pour over the glazed cake immediately after applying the apricot glaze. If cake & glaze are still warm, the icing will harden slightly as it cools, giving that transparent icing professional bakers call fondant.

Share & enjoy together! Remember: success unshared is failure.

Anyone have experience with freezing sliced apples? Should I cook them first for an apple pie mix or just free them? When they thaw, are they soggy? I read online that you can freeze sliced apple on a cookie sheet and put them in baggies, but wondered how well they hold up when they thaw.

my experience is that foods with a lot of water in them do not hold up well to freezing. I would make the pie filling and freeze it, or here is a recipe from Gale Gand for a make-ahead pie that you can just take out of the freezer and put straight into the oven!

Freezer Apple Pie

Good Luck!

Thanks Wasabi. I thought the same thing about freezing apples. Thanks for the recipe!

Here's another one. I haven't made this, so I don't know if it works or not.

Apple Pecan Dumplings
Yields: 6 servings

Pastry for 3 pie shells
2 oranges
½ c light brown sugar, packed
¾ c sugar, in all
1 T flour
4 medium cooking apples
½ t cinnamon
2 - 3 T cold butter or margarine
2 T broken pecans

Grate the orange peel to yield 2 T of orange zest. Juice the oranges, and add enough water to make 1 c. In a saucepan, mix ½ c of each sugar with flour; add orange zest and juice. Cook and stir until mixture thickens and clears, about 3 minutes. Pare, core, and cut apples into 1” horizontal slices. Mix remaining sugar and cinnamon; cut cold butter into 6 pieces. Roll pastry 1/8” thick; cut into six 7” squares. Place one apple slice on each; sprinkle with 1 t of the cinnamon sugar mixture. Top with second apple slice; press 1 piece of butter into center of apples; sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Brush pastry edges with water; wrap around apples, pinch to seal. Place dumplings in a 13 x 9” baking dish. Bake in a 400°F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. spoon some orange sauce over dumplings; bake 10 minutes. Spoon over more sauce; bake 10 minutes. Repeat, sprinkling with pecans; bake 15 minutes.

I posted this earlier but thought I would move it here! :D

I got this one from a Kraft Food & Family magazine. I did not use the brands they promoted & they were great. I also just used a full fat sharp cheddar cheese instead of the reduce fat stuff.

Harvest Baked Apples

Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 45 min
Makes: 8 servings, 1 apple each

8 medium baking apples
1 cup apple or orange juice
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded CRACKER BARREL 2% Milk Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup PLANTERS Chopped Pecans, toasted

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Remove cores from apples to within 1/2 inch of bottoms of apples; pierce the skins with a sharp knife. Place apples in shallow baking dish.
COMBINE juice, sugar and cinnamon; pour over apples.
BAKE 30 to 35 min. or until apples are tender, basting occasionally with the juice mixture. Remove apples from oven. Combine cheese, raisins and pecans; spoon evenly into centers of apples. Let stand 1 min.

Back
Top Bottom