Baking...Can I substitute canola oil for shortening?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffri

Assistant Cook
I am baking and am not very good at it. I have a receipe that calls for shortening. Can I substitute canola oil? I forgot to mention I am into healthy ingredients. Any suggestions? :

I really need to know what you are cooking. Sometimes it makes a difference. I'll be waiting for your answer.

I am baking my grandmothers receipe for molasses "crinkle" cookies. I will give you the receipe if you want. She used to have a restaurant.

Jeffri;
For cookies, you CANNOT substitute oil for shortening. You CAN substitute butter but the cookies will be thinner and a little crispier. Reduce the baking time a bit. NOTE: BUtter means Butter...not margerine!

Every now and then you just have to bite the bullet and make a recipe the way grandma made it - if you want the cookies to turn out the way you remembered them just use the shortening. It's not like you're going to eat every one of them yourself - are you? ;)

Thank you, you are right, if I want them to taste like Grandmas. Here is the receipe:

2/3 C. shortening
1 C. sugar
1 egg
4 T. molasses
1/4 t. salt
2 1/4 C. sifted flour
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. cloves
1 t. cinnomen
1 t. ginger (ground)

Cream shortening and sugar add egg and molasses. Sift dry ingr. mix well and chill for a couple hours or more. Shape into balls the size of a walnut. Dip balls into regular sugar-bake on a greased sheet sugar side up about 8 minutes in moderate oven 325.

Thank you for your help.

Thanks for the recipe!!! Yes, I would definately use shortening and not substitute anything else in this recipe. I hope they are as wonderful as you remember!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom