Brown sugar: How do you store it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
My box of brown sugar turns hard as a brick, anyone have a jack hammer I can borrow? Is there any way to avoid this?

I keep my brown sugar in the refrig..it keeps it moist and therefore usually keeps it soft...if I have a problem I put the sugar in the microwave nuke it a bit and voilla soft sugar.

Tupperware. Its the best way. I have tried it every other concievable way and Tupperware is the best.

I keep mine in the freezer & then just put it in the microwave to soften it. If I know a good bit ahead of time that I am going to need it I take it out of the freezer & let it "thaw" on the counter.

I store mine like middie.

To soften what you have, place a slice of white bread (cheap is fine) in with the brown sugar overnight. It usually softens it up. Good luck!

I keep mine in an airtight, plastic container with a screwtop. The opening is big enough to pass my 1 c measuring cup.

I store brown sugar in its original bag inside a heavy-duty ziploc with as much air removed as possible.

Plastic isn't 'air tight.' It's porous. Certain plastics are more porous than others, but generally speaking, the thinner the plastic, the less 'air tight' the item will be long term.

If you go through brown sugar fast enough, then store it any way you want. If you want to prolong it's life as long as possible, use glass. Same for spices.

scott123 said:
Plastic isn't 'air tight.' It's porous. Certain plastics are more porous than others, but generally speaking, the thinner the plastic, the less 'air tight' the item will be long term.

If you go through brown sugar fast enough, then store it any way you want. If you want to prolong it's life as long as possible, use glass. Same for spices.

Thank you for making that distinction, scott. I do use the stuff a lot, so it really doesn't have the opportunity to dry out.

Back
Top Bottom