Butterscotch sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
This is a sauce that I make to accompany various puddings and is delicious on ice-cream or banana pavlova, too.

2 oz butter
3 oz soft brown sugar
2 oz granulated sugar
5 oz golden syrup (Tate & Lyle) - approx one third of a one pound tin
4 fl oz double cream ( USA = heavy cream?)
few drops of vanilla essence

Put butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and syrup in a heavy based saucepan. Heat slowly and once ingredients have completely melted and sugar dissolved, continue to heat gently for about another 5 mins. Then turn off the heat under the saucepan.

Gradually stir in the double cream, followed by a few drops of vanilla essence. Stir for 2 or 3 minutes until the sauce is absolutely smooth.

Serve hot or cold. It keeps for a while, too!

Ishbel said:
This is a sauce that I make to accompany various puddings and is delicious on ice-cream or banana pavlova, too.

2 oz butter
3 oz soft brown sugar
2 oz granulated sugar
5 oz golden syrup (Tate & Lyle) - approx one third of a one pound tin
4 fl oz double cream ( USA = heavy cream?)
few drops of vanilla essence

Put butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and syrup in a heavy based saucepan. Heat slowly and once ingredients have completely melted and sugar dissolved, continue to heat gently for about another 5 mins. Then turn off the heat under the saucepan.

Gradually stir in the double cream, followed by a few drops of vanilla essence. Stir for 2 or 3 minutes until the sauce is absolutely smooth.

Serve hot or cold. It keeps for a while, too!

ah, the thought of Lyle's Golden syrup, on peanut butter sandwiches with home made white bread from MinnieTittie Couts. Ah, the memories. Coming to think of it, I need to get to the UK just to get some more, my large green tin is almost empty and crystalizing too. The Treacle is fine though, I could scoop spoonfuls out and enjoy plain:LOL:

I use golden syrup in fits and starts. Either I have to chuck an almost full tin because I haven't used it more than once.... OR, I find that I use the tin in one hit!

Ok, for the uninitiated, could you enlighten me as to what "Golden Syrup" is? I always like to know what folks call food items in other countries.

"Treacle" is molasses, right?

Ishbel

Your Butterscotch sauce sounds great - I will definitely have to try it.
I love ice cream and it would really taste great on top. Thank you.

Happy a very nice weekend.

Jill and Jolie

You can use Steen's cane syrup if you can get it here in the states. Or have a dear friend that will mail you some!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom