Can my son make Tiramisu? Damn yes :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookwewill

Senior Cook
I'm sure many of you cooking fans here on the forum are cooking with your kids and try to teach them a few kitchen tricks. I'm doing the same since I think it's a great skill to have.

Sometimes it works great, sometimes no so great, but usually our creations are at least edible :)

But what really makes me happy, is when one of my kids takes the extra step and actually learns how to prepare some recipe on their own. So ladies and gentleman, I want to share a proud moment with you.

One of my sons is becoming a master at making Tiramisu! He even did a few mods to the recipe... I wasn't able to get the Marsala Wine, so he used Amaretto as the substitute and since he wanted to reach a more creamy texture, he spaced the biscuits out so the cream fills the spaces... I'm proud :)

And finally, I made him shoot a video for my blog, where he prepares the dessert... I had to bribe him with 20 bucks, but I think it was well worth it :)

Here is his creation :

0ywuXnO.jpg

We also made a video and I'm quite surprised by how confident he looks in it, I was afraid he would mess it up, but he did like a pro! :)

Want to watch it? Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EUJKnUSN8A

And now to the recipe:

INGREDIENTS:

20 ladyfinger biscuits
5-6 eggs (high quality)
2 cups of Mascarpone 250g/8oz each
70g (5-6 tablespoons) powdered or granulated sugar
20-25g (2 tablespoons) vanilla sugar
cocoa powder
1 shot Amaretto liquor
1/2 cup espresso

INSTRUCTIONS:

- Separate the egg yolks from the whites, make sure there are no trays of the whites left in the yolks.
- Add 70g (6 tbsp.) powdered or granulated sugar and whisk it in.
- Add 20-25g (1.5-2 tbsp.) of vanilla sugar and whisk until the yellow color becomes somewhat pale.
- Mix in 2 cups of Mascarpone. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Mix/beat the egg whites until stiff, with a hand mixer. Gradually mix the stiffened egg whites into the Tiramisu cream.
- Make an espresso and let it cool down for a bit. We need about 1 cup. Add a shot of Amaretto liqueur and mix.
- Start assembling the Tiramisu cake. We are using a standard baking dish.
- Form a thin cream layer at the bottom of the dish. Dip 10 ladyfingers in coffee and evenly space them out. Add half of the remaining cream and spread it out evenly.
- Continue with the second layer of coffee dipped ladyfingers and cover these with the remaining cream.
- Dust the Tiramisu cake with cocoa powder and put the finished desert into a fridge or freezer to cool down.
- Once cold, we are ready to serve.

And one more photo :

slCNBtF.jpg

How do you like it? Lemme know :)

Matej.

Wow!! That tiramisu looks amazing! It looks the same as my mother’s one (she’s Italian and knows how to make a really good tiramisu). Thanks for sharing. If I had such a son, I’d be proud of him too, for sure. Tbh, you’ve encouraged me to make a tiramisu. I’ve always bought these cups https://costcofdb.com/costco-tiramisu-cups-dessert-italiano-costco-review, but your son has inspired me. So, this evening is going to be special, especially for my husband, lol. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!!

The last thing I want in my kitchen is kids. I hear so many people talk about "this is great to do with your kids".
Now if a grown up kid wants to learn I am very happy and more than willing to help them. But to have a child in the kitchen to me is just....well I can't say the word.

Do you have children, @Roll_Bones? When our kids were little, our son wanted to get in there and find out how to do stuff...about everything. He's still that way. He needed a step stool to reach the counter, but he couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 when he was helping me make meals. I wasn't much older than that when I started helping my Mom. Under duress. :LOL:

Do you have children, @Roll_Bones? When our kids were little, our son wanted to get in there and find out how to do stuff...about everything. He's still that way. He needed a step stool to reach the counter, but he couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 when he was helping me make meals. I wasn't much older than that when I started helping my Mom. Under duress. :LOL:
Neither one of my folks did much cooking. I liked to eat, so I took an interest in cooking! I think I was about 9 when the kitchen was pretty much mine. If they wanted to invite someone over, they would check with me to make sure I could make dinner...LOL. I still love cooking...and eating too! :LOL:

I really like tiramisu, but I always thought it was difficult to cook. Need to overcome my fears, take your recipe, buy products, turn on your cool video and cook with you! It turned out really great!

Yes. I had 3 girls. None of the 3 ever expressed any interest in cooking. Just eating.
I think its great your son showed interest.
Neither one of my folks did much cooking. I liked to eat, so I took an interest in cooking! I think I was about 9 when the kitchen was pretty much mine. If they wanted to invite someone over, they would check with me to make sure I could make dinner...LOL. I still love cooking...and eating too! :LOL:
Similar story to mine. My mother worked and back then she would leave meat out to defrost in the morning with instructions for me to put it in the fridge as soon as I got home from school.
This is what started my interest in cooking.
By the time I was 12, I was cooking dinner.
Both my parents were good cooks. I learned from watching them. Along with the TV chefs of the day.

Back
Top Bottom