Chocolate Lovers Unite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was even thinking about the Death by Chocolate cake, but got side-tracked when I remembered my own little webpage I had written. At that time, I did NOT have the Death by Chocolate cake recipe. I have it now in my files, but didn't think to post it :x

BTW, has anyone ever had a chocolate cake called a "Magnificent Seven" cake at a restaurant? I've served it in two different places, it's mass-produced by Sweet Streets bakery, I think. It's GREAT! Seven different kinds of chocolate products go into that one.

DEATH BY CHOCOLATE TORTE
Makes at least 10 servings

1 stick unsalted butter, softened, plus some for greasing the pan and paper
1 cup AP flour, plus some for dusting pan
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
½ cup water
7 eggs
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
pinch salt
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 350. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch cake pan. Cover bottom with a circle of waxed or parchment paper; butter the paper, sift a little flour over the whole pan; invert to remove excess flour.

Cake
Melt the 3 ounces of chocolate with the water over low heat, cool. Use electric mixer to beat five of the eggs until light; gradually add 1 cup of the sugar; continue beating until the mixture is very thick. Gently stir in half the flour, then the chocolate mixture, then the remaining flour, and finally half the vanilla and a pinch of salt.

Turn into prepared cake pan and bake 40 to 50 minutes, until the cake is firm and toothpick comes out dry, or nearly so. Cool for 5 minutes before turning out onto a rack.

Butter Cream Filling
Place 2 egg yolks (reserve whites for another use or discard) in the container of a blender. Add the remaining sugar, remaining vanilla, and cocoa. Turn on the blender and add the butter a little bit at a time. When the butter is blended in, chill to a spreading consistency.

When the cake is completely cool, use a serrated knife to split cake in half horizontally (go slow! - this cake does not rise much). Spread the bottom layer with the chilled butter cream, then put top layer in place. Chill for an hour or so, then make Dark Chocolate Glaze (below). Use a lightly oiled spatula to spread the glaze over the top and sides of torte. Serve small slices, with whipped cream if you like.

Because of its dense texture, the cake keeps better than most. You can cover and refrigerate it for up to a couple of days-it will remain a treat.

Dark Chocolate Glaze
Apply this glaze while it’s hot, with an oiled spatula, on a chilled cake, and it will solidify perfectly and almost instantly.

¾ cup top quality unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup heavy cream
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into bits
¾ cup confectioner’s sugar
tiny pinch salt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix everything except vanilla together in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until combined and thickened – about 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in vanilla and use immediately.

Awwwww Geezzzzz. You guys are so sweet. You didn't have to start a whole wonderful thread praising me and all my glories!

But I thank you just the same! 8)

choclatechef, LOL! We are waiting for your submission to this thread, I am sure you have a ton of wondrous recipes...will you share?

ALL HAIL THE WONDER OF CHOCOLATE!!

Actually, my family did not do a lot of "fancy" baking. They did plain baking. I can not ever recall them doing something fancy like a torte or anything.

I doubt if I have anything to contribute. Sorry.

I am good with plain baking stuff...just toss in some chocolate! Don't feel you have to though, I am just being goofy.

choclatechef said:
Awwwww Geezzzzz. You guys are so sweet. You didn't have to start a whole wonderful thread praising me and all my glories!

But I thank you just the same! 8)

I was wondering how long it would take for you to toss that one in!!!!! ;) ROFL!!!

Nice torte, Bug!!!

Egads. Just reviewing this thread puts a pound on. 8) There are some sincerely killer recipes here just begging to be made...if your arteries can stand it! Oh heck, we all go sometime...what a way to go!!!

I'm with you Audeo. It doesn't get much better than this! I think this thread deserves to be kept for posterity.

This is a random post, my 7 yr old stepson wants to put his two cents in on chocolate...since he loves it...so my apologies if the next few statements don't make any sense...

myfav cook is stepmom bcause she is nice and she is prite and she is butful

Here's another out of my files.

Chocolate Royale Cheesecake
Yields: 12 servings

18 Oreo sandwich cookies, finely crushed
2 T butter or margarine, melted
Four 8 oz packages cream cheese
1 t vanilla
1 c sugar
2 T flour
1 package (8 squares) semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
¼ c hazelnut liqueur, optional
4 eggs

Preheat your oven to 325°F.
Mix the crumbs and butter, press into bottom of a 9” springform pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Beat the cream cheese, sugar, flour, and vanilla with an electric mixer until well. Blended. Add chocolate, liqueur, and eggs; mix just until blended. Pour over crust. Bake at 325°F for 55 to 60 minutes or until center is almost set. Run knife around rim of pan to loosen cake; cool before removing rim of pan. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Garnish is sifted powdered sugar and mixed berries, if desired.

Geez, Allen! I'd love to hack into some of your files, pal! :twisted:

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day tomorrow! (Do yourself a favor and limit the sugar intake for the twins..... ;) )

Appreciate the additional goodie!

(copying...pasting...)

I just did a count on my files in my recipes folder, and got a return of 2,297 files. About 10 of those files are not recipes, but other documents that pertain to food in some way.

How many of them are chocolate related Allen? I am soooo green with envy about your recipe file. Mine is puny by comparison.

AllenMI said:
I just did a count on my files in my recipes folder, and got a return of 2,297 files. About 10 of those files are not recipes, but other documents that pertain to food in some way.

YOWEE!! This site has been a godsend to me in getting a lot of mine into digital format! How funny that ten out of 2300 are not recipes!

Hmmm.....what's your IP?

that was so cute and sweet htc....something i would hope my son would one day write.....

mmmm chocolate..>ALIX!!! did you see that I ofund my chocolate bar,...mmmmm.....and this death by chocolate...OMG!!! I first had this when I was pregnant....bad time to try something to good!!! Im addicted to it now!!

I did see that Tanis. And THANKS very much...you got ME craving the stupid thing (halfway finished already) and now I have chocolate smeared all over the keyboard.

Back
Top Bottom