Chocolate Lovers Unite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just gave this recipe to someon...it is a Chocolate Glaze used for covering cakes and such....it is very thin and makes a nice shine...more shine then a ganache...althought this is similar to a ganache it has a lot more fat and less water...

12 oz. Butter
2 oz. corn syrup
1 pound chocolate

Give it a try next time you glaze a cake!

Robert
Chocolate Guild :: The Chocolate Connoisseur's Home Base

Last edited:
I am a severe choco-holic and am weighing the pros and cons of my finding this thread :LOL:...my recent chocolately indulgence (which was absolutely delish): Double-Deck Chocolate Custard. There's a photo, too to make it more tempting.

Double-Deck Chocolate Custard (just like mousse but richer yummmy!!)

This recipe makes 8 servings and only takes 20 minutes!! I got it from the better homes website (they have tons of quick recipes on there)

Last edited by a moderator:
My cake (first recipe in this thread) is cooling as we speak. I am trying to download a pic but having issues. Will post it as soon as I get it done.

ALWAYS! Katie, in our house we always make sure there is enough for "in case". You just never know how many might end up at your table.

I made these last July 4th for a special party along with Nick Malgieri's Supernatural Brownies and they were a huge hit! It gives you a big bang of chocolate for the amount of time it takes to put together.

Pot de Chocolat (Mousse)
Based on a recipe by Maida Heatter
4 portions, can easily be multiplied by any number. These are really rich and wonderful.

Ingredients:
4 ounces any semisweet chocolate (be sure to use the best chocolate that you can)
1 Tablespoon sweet butter
2 Tablespoons light rum, or prepared coffee
2 eggs (large or extra-large), separated
Pinch of salt

Directions:
In double boiler, melt the chocolate with the butter and rum or coffee. Stir until smooth. Remove the top of the double boiler and let the chocolate mixture cool for about 2 to 3 minutes. Next, add the yolks one at a time making sure to stir until the chocolate mixture is smooth after each yolk is added.
In a small mixing bowl, place the egg whites and pinch of salt and beat until they hold a soft peak but do not beat them until they are stiff or dry.
Fold the whites into the chocolate mixture. It is easiest to do this, if you lighten the chocolate by adding one tablespoon of whites, then a second and then, a third. Then, quickly fold in the rest of the whites but do not handle any more than necessary although there should not be any streaks of whites in the mousse.
Carefully, pour the chocolate mousse into glasses or cups that have a 1/2 cup capacity, but don't fill them all the way to the top. Refrigerate the chocolate mousse for 6 - 8 hours, or overnight.
The chocolate mousse will be ever so soft and creamy after 6 --8 hours but it will be much firmer if it stands overnight. It is a fantastic dessert either way. To ensure that the tops do not dry out, wrap with tin foil or plastic wrap.

Additional serving suggestions:
Traditionally the pots de chocolat are served as is but you can add a rosette of whipped cream and a candied rose or violet petal.

This is another dead simple chocolate dessert. It is made with a Dutch chocolate mint liqueur called Vandermint. I have never substituted a different chocolate mint liqueur or other liqueur in this recipe so I do not know how they it would turn out. I got this recipe from a little booklet that came with the bottle of liqueur. This is the recipe in my own words.

Vandermint Mousse
Ingredients:
6 oz Package semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1/2 cup Hot (but not boiling) Vandermint liqueur
1 cup Sweet Butter, cut in pieces
4 Egg yolks
4 Egg whites; beaten until stiff
2 tablespoons Powdered sugar
1/2 pint or 1 Cup Heavy cream; whipped
Vanilla
Sugar
Bittersweet chocolate; shaved

Directions:
Combine in a blender or food processor the first 2 ingredients. Add the second 2 ingredients. Remove to a large bowl. In another large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually add the powdered sugar. Fold in the Vandermint/chocolate mixture. Pour the mousse into a souffle dish, trifle bowl or individual souffle dishes and chill until firm.
To serve, you may cover with extra whipped cream which has been sweetened and flavored with vanilla, and top with grated bittersweet chocolate.

My note:
Use a food processor if you blender does not unscrew at the bottom otherwise it can be difficult to get all the chocolate out from the blades.

This is one of my dessert secret weapons. It makes a very big fudgy chocolate cake with very effort. When I am asked to make something last minute, I often make this cake. However, if you can make a chocolate cake the night before it is served, it will always taste better. I usually make it one night and ice it the next morning.
Pie Susan

Hungarian Chocolate Walnut Torte
Serves 8 very big slices

Ingredients:
4 eggs
1-1/4 cups sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup flour
4 T cocoa
1 t baking powder
1/2 cup sour cream
1 t vanilla extract

Directions:
Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend for 30 seconds, or until the nuts are finely chopped.
Pour batter into a 10-inch buttered springform pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until a cake tester, inserted in center, comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan.
When cool, swirl Chocolate Buttercream on the top, in a decorative fashion and frost the sides. This is a low cake, so don't think anything went wrong.

Chocolate Buttercream

Ingredients:
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
1/4 cup sweet butter, melted
1/2 t vanilla

Directions:
In a bowl, stir together melted chocolate and melted butter until blended. Stir in vanilla. Yields 3/4 cup frosting.

Ken's Chocolate Dream
Serves 12 - 15 people

Cake:

1/4 cup butter (softened)
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa and then fill to 1 1/2 cups with very hot water
1 egg beaten (just with a fork)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda in the cocoa measuring cup pour in 1/3 cup hot water, swish around to get all the cocoa remnants out.

Cream butter and sugar well. Pour in the cocoa liquid and stir well. Leave for a moment or two, then add beaten egg. Add the baking soda and water mixture, then add the dry ingredients. Make sure to mix thoroughly at this step to avoid any flour lumps later. Pour into a greased 10 inch springform and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. It may need more. Leave it in for increments of 5 minutes. Check every five minutes and remove as soon as it is done. Toothpick test is not very accurate as this is a moist cake. Look for cake to bounce back when touched in center of cake instead. Allow cake to cool completely before performing next step.

Filling:

1 cup butter
1 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa
1 tbsp raspberry juice (or rum)

1 cup raspberry jam

Beat butter and icing sugar and cocoa together until very light coloured. Drizzle in raspberry juice with beaters at high speed.

Remove cake from springform sides (leave the bottom on for now) and place face down on serving plate. Using a long serrated knife cut cake in half and place top to the side. Smear about a 1/2 cup of raspberry jam on each of the inner aspects of the cake. Then smear your buttercream on the bottom half of the cake. Reassemble cake and remove springform bottom. Be careful...it is a bit slippery! Refrigerate for at least one hour.

Glaze:

2/3 cup butter
1/2 cup corn syrup
2/3 cup chocolate chips (semi sweet)

2 cups fresh raspberries

Melt butter, syrup and chocolate in the microwave for one minute on high and whisk until glossy. Pour over chilled cake and cover well. While glaze is still workable, place fresh raspberries in concentric rings on the top of the cake. Leave about a half inch from your last ring of raspberries to the edge of the cake. Make sure you don't go too close to the edges or the raspberries will slide off the edges. Chill for at least one hour and serve.

*You may substitute canned mandarin oranges for the fresh raspberries, but you must then use orange marmalade instead of raspberry jam and omit the raspberry juice in the buttercream.

This is my simplified version. I have done a couple of cakes where I do fancy stuff like painting chocolate on leaves and decorate the top of the cake with those. Also, feel free to use whatever chocolate you wish. I simply specify chocolate chips because most of us have them on hand. Bon Appetit!

3/4 cup cocoa and then fill to 1 1/2 cups with very hot water
1/2 tsp baking soda in the cocoa measuring cup pour in 1/3 cup hot water, swish around to get all the cocoa remnants out.

do you use dry cocoa powder? and if so do you measure your dry cocoa powder in a 2 cup or 4 cup liquid measuring cup?

Pan Dulce

whenever i think of chocolate i think of Pan Dulce..its a traditional Mexican sweet buns that has a A chocolate streusel toppings...so yummy...anything with chocolate topping is a ok!!

Here is how u make it
INGREDIENTS * 6 tablespoons margarine
* 1 cup milk
* 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/3 cup white sugar
* 5 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 3 1/2 tablespoons margarine
* 2 egg yolks
* 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (optional)
* 1 egg
* 2 tablespoons milk
DIRECTIONS
1. In a small pan, combine 6 tablespoons butter or margarine and 1 cup milk; heat to 110 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine yeast, salt, 1/3 cup sugar, and 2 cups of the flour. Pour in warmed milk mix. Beat, scraping often, with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Blend in 2 whole eggs and 1 cup flour; beat on high for 2 minutes. With a spoon , beat in enough of the remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
3. Knead on a floured board till smooth, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turn to grease top, cover, and let rise until doubled.
4. While dough is rising make streusel. Stir together 1/2 cup sugar and 2/3 cup flour. Mix in 3 1/2 tablespoons cold butter or margarine. Mix to get fine crumbs. Blend in 2 egg yolks with a fork. For chocolate streusel, mix 2 tablespoons cocoa powder with flour.
5. Punch dough down, turn onto floured board. Divide into 14 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Shape 7 into seashells. Squeeze 1/4 cup of streusel into a firm ball; and press over the top of each round. Score with slightly curved parallel lines to resemble a scallop shell. Roll remaining dough into 4 by 8 inch ovals. Top each with 3 tablespoons streusel. To make horns, roll oval from short end; stop half way, fold in sides, and finish rolling. Curl ends in to form a crescent. Place buns about 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Cover lightly, and allow to rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. In a small bowl, beat together 1 egg and 2 tablespoons milk.
6. Brush buns with egg mixture. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) until lightly browned, about 15 to 17 minutes.(allrecipes version)

The only thing I know is,How to finish all this,If you could give me a chance to eat all this with in seconds it will be finished....

I know it drives folks nuts when we revive old threads. Sorry! I need this one. Ken's birthday is tomorrow and I want stuff to be handy. Birthday cake time!

I know it drives folks nuts when we revive old threads. Sorry! I need this one. Ken's birthday is tomorrow and I want stuff to be handy. Birthday cake time!

No problem. We do have a lot of new members that might be interested in this thread. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom