FDA Could Change Chocolate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aguynamedrobert

Senior Cook
There is proposed change in standard of what "Chocolate" is being reviewed by the FDA right now. What this proposed FDA law would do is make it so that up to 100% of the cocoa butter in chocolate could be replaced by vegetable fats and they could still call it Chocolate! So when you buy a bar of "fine chocolate" there would be a possibility that there is vegetable fats in it and not cocoa butter.

Cocoa butter is important because of the way it melts. If this change occurs the companies that use vegetable fats will have chocolate that will have a horrible melting property and ruin the taste and feel of the chocolate.

This law will confuse people on what real chocolate is in a time when people WANT REAL CHOCOLATE!

So write in to the FDA! All the instructions are on the link below and it only takes a minute. Go tell them that you don't want to allow vegetable oils in Chocolate!

Don't Mess With Our Chocolate

Robert Noel
Chocolate Guild :: The Chocolate Connoisseur's Home Base

Robert...

Who is the "lobby" behind such a change? Who benefits?
The people who stand to gain are the ones who need tapping on the shoulder by the consumer.

The CMA "Chocolate Manufacturers Association" is lobbying it to the FDA...Most of the Manufacturers apart of that association are big manufacturers and would bennfit to be able to call more of their products chocolate. But the FDA is hearing all consumers till April 26th and what they have to say about it so write in if you can...

Robert Noel

How do they propose to make things taste like chocolate if there's no cocoa in them at all? And, why would there be a DECREASE in purity, when common opinion and strategy is going the other way?

As far as I can see it, the FDA would be in gross breech of their duties if they approve that foods are labelled according to their chemical flavourings, not their constitution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to remember that this is already the case with UK (cheap/big brand) chocolate? They did taste tests on the continent where it is not so and people liked the UK one of the same brand better, rofl. I am happy to be corrected though if this is no longer the case in the UK!

Oh, wow, thanks for explaining the difference!....what is currently allowed in USA?

The truth is, some dumb *** politician's cousin is in the vegetable fat business, and needs some more money.

Just goes to show, no matter who gets in, Rep., Dem, black, white, male or female.....they all VACUUM!

Ughhh yuck! That's an awful idea. I'll tell you this though, they're going to have a lot of angry PMS-ing women after them if they do make the change. :LOL:

Lulu,
What is currently allowed in the USA is NO VEGETABLE FAT AT ALL! Only cocoa butter and a small amount of butter oil(milk fat). Nothing else...so it is a huge jump to allow a complete replacement of cocoa butter for vegetable oil. I really think the standard needs to stay where it is at...

Haha...cherryred...I was laughing when I read your comment...you should send that statement to the FDA....

Robert Noel

What difference does it make?

If you bake with "Baker's" brand chocolate or some such trash, then it can't get any worse.

And if you bake with quality chocolate like Callebaut or Lindt, then it doesn't matter either, because no quality brand is going to start putting vegetable oil in their chocolate anyway, right?

Well that decision would be completely up to that brand/company wether they replace the cocoa butter with Vegetable oil. YOu could very well go to buy some Bakers one day and find that it is ALL hydrogenated vegetable oil...same with Callebaut or Lindt(Lindt already isn't very top notch anyway so I would suspect they "might" use this to their advantage...

Robert

Well that decision would be completely up to that brand/company wether they replace the cocoa butter with Vegetable oil. YOu could very well go to buy some Bakers one day and find that it is ALL hydrogenated vegetable oil...same with Callebaut or Lindt(Lindt already isn't very top notch anyway so I would suspect they "might" use this to their advantage...

Well, if brand X switches to vegetable oil, then I'll just switch to brand Y. Even if a company like, say, Lindt, makes the switch, so what? Then you just use El Ray or Scharffen Berger or Valhrona...

Any high-end brand dumb enough to pull a stunt like this will simply go out of business.

As for brands like Bakers, who cares what thet put in their chocolate? Nothing could possibly make it any worse than it is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom