Goboenomo's Baking Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going crazy with this candy.

I have now made grape, watermelon, rootbeer, cheery, and banana.
I plan to make grape and rootbeer again, and a new one... bubblegum.
My mom is planning to sell those, along with a few batches of cookies at this pancake fundraiser this weekend. I also have to cook the pancakes. Hehehe.

Gobo, after I get through my busy season (wedding cakes) I want to work on hard candy as a friend of mine has been nicely bugging me to make her some. I will definitely come to you for advice.

I tried the link to your truffle recipe and it didn't work. Have you seen mine? It is under candies...the "Twuffles for Uncle Bob" thread. I really want to see how you do them. Your candy making style intrigues me. I agree, you should go into business!

Gobo, after I get through my busy season (wedding cakes) I want to work on hard candy as a friend of mine has been nicely bugging me to make her some. I will definitely come to you for advice.

I tried the link to your truffle recipe and it didn't work. Have you seen mine? It is under candies...the "Twuffles for Uncle Bob" thread. I really want to see how you do them. Your candy making style intrigues me. I agree, you should go into business!

Hard candy is very quick and easy, you shouldn't have any problems.

I can't seem to find where I got the truffle recipe from... I know it was a thread on this site. I think Alix might know where it is.

So it appears you can't edit old posts anymore? :(

Long time no see folks. It has been a number of years since I have posted here. I have always occasionally come back to browse a few posts, or find some information. Today I decided - that baking thread could use an update.

So here it is....

When I was posting last I was just getting started working with hard candies. I started what you could call a business per-say. Selling my homemade candies to friends, and friends of friends. I was eventually asked if I could make "a chewy candy." So straight to taffy making I went.

img_1231469_0_faed150fa31567d34b2605f6d1ac4196.jpg

I played with flavours, temperatures, shapes, and even started adding a pinch of baking soda for that extra "airy" texture.

img_1231469_1_f825503968133e464e7044eda54e9e53.jpg

I still make taffy often. And not long ago made and received an online order for some gum base. :eek:

One summer my dad, brother and i had plans to bring a bunch of buddies up to this rarely known campground where we met with 2 families of long time friends. It had been a good 6 or 7 years since we had been able to get together for camping like this. So i had to make something!!

img_1231469_2_abc5eab6360cbe8c1a6d18cf508d6499.jpg

This was a fun one. It opened me up to so many ideas.

img_1231469_3_6a32a2402a77cb9445156ef21daee44a.jpg

Oreo crumb base, homemade marshmallow center, and milk chocolate cinnamon fudge top.

img_1231469_4_d8a907098be803823f6e006b0ef1280d.jpg

Brownie bottom, marshmallow center, rice crispies mixed with milk chocolate and peanut butter.

img_1231469_5_f72f0c4cc5ca9d48d56921807094c17d.jpg

Chocolate covered pumpkin marshmallow graham cracker cookie.

And of course, there had to be rice crispy treats.

img_1231469_6_4f30d40f5935ed3e412b7345bd67b4ae.jpg

6 variations. Original, Cinnamon and Skor bits, cocoa with chocolate and homemade caramel, butterscotch with mini peanut butter cups, peanut butter with chocolate, and finally peanut butter almond with pecans. Can you identify them? :)

Fudge! Fudge fudge fudge. I made a whole bunch of flavours of fudge using a nice simple recipe with condensed milk.

img_1231469_7_f9a50113f24ce1e6a78a5e667dec3e26.jpg

My first batch - peanut butter chocolate. I went on to make others like chocolate cinnamon, peanut butter butterscotch with marshmallows, white chocolate with skor bits, and others.

img_1231470_0_20256251e649e29427fb0e0959e414e5.jpg

Perfect cookies anyone? Well maybe not perfect... but I don't see myself getting much closer than this.

img_1231470_1_16adf5711889706799d1f14e9b66e99d.jpg

A lemon meringue pie with no lemons, or lemon juice. I wanted to make SOMETHING that day, and was very low on ingredients. So this is a sweet custard flavoured with one of my candy flavourings, and a couple drops of food colouring.

img_1231470_2_65f19a6a4fc4185b821ea4bb1be7bc72.jpg

A little molecular gastronomy play. This is raspberry juice mixed with sodium alginate which was dripped (using a turkey baster lawl) into a mix of water and calcium chloride. When the sodium alginate meets calcium chloride mixed with water it forms a gel.

One day at work at was sent on break, and decided to go to the electronics store next door. I went in, looked around, and found..... :eek: an ice cream maker! Only $40!

My first flavour was vanilla of course. The best flavour evar! It turned out great! So rich, intense, and had the perfect consistency, the kind of texture you'd expect from the commercially sold "frozen dessert." My second flavour was banana. Or what I was initially aiming for. I had pureed a bunch of bananas, and added some cinnamon, nutmeg, clove. I hadn't simply made banana ice cream... this was banana bread ice cream! I'm sure this is different for everyone, but to me this was the banana bread my mom used to make - in ice cream form. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of those 2. But the banana had an interesting tint, probably due to the fact i used a mix of old frozen bananas and new ones. The new ones were probably brown the minute i finished pureeing it anyway. And we all know what vanilla ice cream looks like.

img_1231470_3_be96783ca487e673b5ba5031d3c518d8.jpg

Apple cinnamon, my 3rd flavour. I pureed the apples and let them sit in some sugar water to keep the apples from freezing too hard or too quick I added lots of cinnamon both during the heating and the ice cream making churning. As you can see this one froze a little hard. I probably didn't let the apples sit in the sugar water long enough. I hope this one makes up for that...

img_1231470_4_84068f64feb0ec63accf1b6d0129c640.jpg

Cookie dough ice cream. I spent some time trying to lay those cookies down just right, so there is some meltage. But you can see those scoop wrinkles. Always a good sign of great consistency in my opinion.

img_1231470_5_a91e1e9f4989c23414c4abdcc4ad8829.jpg

Chocolate peanut butter. Sooooo good. This comes just barely behind cookie dough on the best ones I have made to date. Both flavours are present in the ice cream, ever changing... you notice the chocolate, then the peanut butter slips in there, then the chocolate pushes him back, and the peanut butter starts tackling chocolate, and chocolate starts biting and kicking peanut butter below the belt and then peanut butter grabs chocolate and.... oh whoops..

img_1231470_6_e4fc9235b53ea69806bbc3c069de21ac.jpg

Hazelnut with white chocolate. This one was more for my friends than me. I found the hazelnut to be a bit much in this. Appropriately so - I had used half a jar of nutella for it. Luckily my friends were all over that.

There have been other bakings; angel food cake, apple strudels, imitation tootsie rolls, ice cream cookie sandwiches, a better take on gummies, and other stuff I can't think of.

Just for fun here's a bit of what eats up my non baking/working time.

"Incandescent" (Minecraft w/ Sonic Ether's Shaders + PureBDCraft 512x + Real Clouds) - YouTube
I took part of a minecraft project making a huge map that we would release to the public. We planned for the map to be an MMORPG (multi-man online role playing game). We had built arenas, battlegrounds, dungeons, raids, open world, character classes, professions, spells, and of course we had a subscriber feature for those who wanted a little extra something. We had everything built and pretty much put together, we even had a sponsor hosting an unlimited server for us. Alas, shortly before release, just after I had finished my 3 day project of building an actual 100% automatic real time counter set to go off on release an count the days our server was active - the project was closed.

SkyFire Ace played by Zzyxk - YouTube

I have been playing this game for a good 8 years or so now. Always playing this game :D. I was lucky enough to AAA this song before the winter came in and I got the hand hands.

Hope you enjoyed the goods. I enjoyed making them.

Zzyxk (my new online tagname [pronounced Zeek])

You certainly have been busy. All that in a home kitchen. Lovely work. glad to see you back.

And no, you can not edit old posts. You only have minutes to edit after you hit the "Submit Reply" button. :angel:

Thanks Addie. :)

That's a shame, because I just noticed near the end there I put "hand hands"... I could have sworn I typed cold hands.

Cool candies! Havn't seen this thread before.

That's because Goboenomo hasn't graced us with his presence for a few years! But it is great to have him back! Hopefully you will stick around for awhile Gobo. I have missed your passion for baking! :)

I never did find that truffle recipe (see back to 2008 in this thread). This year food allergies had me not doing a single bit of baking (was torture but I gave away all my flour and other supplies so I wasn't tempted). But I am going to start with getting back to cake decorations (I don't like the taste of fondant or gumpaste) first and then get back to candies and cakes, etc.

But I like some of your new stuff - keep it coming!

That's because Goboenomo hasn't graced us with his presence for a few years! But it is great to have him back! Hopefully you will stick around for awhile Gobo. I have missed your passion for baking! :)

I never did find that truffle recipe (see back to 2008 in this thread). This year food allergies had me not doing a single bit of baking (was torture but I gave away all my flour and other supplies so I wasn't tempted). But I am going to start with getting back to cake decorations (I don't like the taste of fondant or gumpaste) first and then get back to candies and cakes, etc.

But I like some of your new stuff - keep it coming!

Thank you :).

That must have been rough not baking at all :(. I actually don't eat a whole bunch of my own stuff. I have enough to get a few tastes and get an idea how long the good can last. But I mostly share them, bringing them into work and seeing them destroy whatever I had made XD.

You are going to make cake decorations? Or decorate cakes? Either way, looking forward to seeing some :).

Thank you :).

That must have been rough not baking at all :(.

You are going to make cake decorations? Or decorate cakes? Either way, looking forward to seeing some :).

I don't eat a lot of it either when I am baking, but being a baker I was finding I was actually inhaling icing sugar while beating it in my KA. I have to stay away from it for awhile. I have a particular yeast allergy and yeast feeds on sugar. I need to free myself from anything related to sugar for at least 6 months and bring it back slowly. I have decided abstaining from baking is good for my health.

I have been decorating cakes for several years now. I had pictures on my profile but they aren't there at the moment. When I have a chance I will repost them and let you know. I am planning to make flowers and other decorations to teach myself new techniques. When I am ready to start baking again I am hoping I will have a good repertoire of decorations and will have figured out my style. I want to try several techniques such as painting on fondant, making molds out of lace, buttons, etc. and attempting flowers I haven't done before.

It is really hard resisting the urge to bake, but I made it easy for myself by giving away my ingredients. I would have to go to the store and buy more and then be accountable to my naturopath and my husband. My health comes first. But I have so many things I want to try.

Maybe I could tell you and you could do them for me! :LOL:

I don't eat a lot of it either when I am baking, but being a baker I was finding I was actually inhaling icing sugar while beating it in my KA. I have to stay away from it for awhile. I have a particular yeast allergy and yeast feeds on sugar. I need to free myself from anything related to sugar for at least 6 months and bring it back slowly. I have decided abstaining from baking is good for my health.

I have been decorating cakes for several years now. I had pictures on my profile but they aren't there at the moment. When I have a chance I will repost them and let you know. I am planning to make flowers and other decorations to teach myself new techniques. When I am ready to start baking again I am hoping I will have a good repertoire of decorations and will have figured out my style. I want to try several techniques such as painting on fondant, making molds out of lace, buttons, etc. and attempting flowers I haven't done before.

It is really hard resisting the urge to bake, but I made it easy for myself by giving away my ingredients. I would have to go to the store and buy more and then be accountable to my naturopath and my husband. My health comes first. But I have so many things I want to try.

Maybe I could tell you and you could do them for me! :LOL:

Hahaha, well maybe I could be open to this idea. Of course this would depend on what you're asking me to make, and the availability of the ingredients. I am lucky enough to live across the street from a wal-mart, grocery superstore, and a bulk food/baking shop. But these places are still very limited as I often find myself having to order things online anyway.

I could use something to make tomorrow. It's been almost a week since I have made something outside of work. If you have an idea go ahead and throw it out there. :) :idea:<-- shocked cyclops face XD

Have posted some of my cakes in my profile. I have some more of my better ones, but need to shut down for the night. Please give me your honest comments.

As for an idea, I will have to think on that but it will probably come to me in the middle of the night! :LOL:

Have posted some of my cakes in my profile. I have some more of my better ones, but need to shut down for the night. Please give me your honest comments.

As for an idea, I will have to think on that but it will probably come to me in the middle of the night! :LOL:

Oh wow! Those are great! I especially like 3, 7 and 18.

I have made plenty of cakes before, but I have never decorated or worked with a fondant before.

What flavours were those 3 cakes? Wish I could have tried some.

I have written comments on all the cakes with their flavours.

Oh, have you ever made turkish delight? I have been searching all over for a recipe even close to the one my grandmother used to make. Have been unsuccessful to date and she never wrote anything down. :(

I have written comments on all the cakes with their flavours.

Oh, have you ever made turkish delight? I have been searching all over for a recipe even close to the one my grandmother used to make. Have been unsuccessful to date and she never wrote anything down. :(

No, I never have. In fact I think I've only ever had one once. That is the chocolate covered gummy bar right?

Goboenomo.. wonderful thread! Just popping in to say that my child and I both play Minecraft (him a lot, me a little) I'll have to see what server you are on and come find you! :)

Goboenomo.. wonderful thread! Just popping in to say that my child and I both play Minecraft (him a lot, me a little) I'll have to see what server you are on and come find you! :)

Thank you, Merlot.

Most of my minecrafting lately has been on the xbox 360 version. I'm always wanting to play the PC version, but my buddies always want to go back to stupid xbox.

Thank you, Merlot.

Most of my minecrafting lately has been on the xbox 360 version. I'm always wanting to play the PC version, but my buddies always want to go back to stupid xbox.

My hubby (TB) has his own server for his brother, 4 nephews and some friends. If you were interested I am sure he would let you in. Merlot too! :)

My hubby (TB) has his own server for his brother, 4 nephews and some friends. If you were interested I am sure he would let you in. Merlot too! :)

Sure, I could go take a look. Are they playing survival or creative?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom