Help.. Natillas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wishfullthinking

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone. it has been sometime since i have been on here. But I need some advice or tips from someone who has made Natillas. I have found so many recipes and have no clue which would be the best. My boyfriend grew up eating it or rather he said they drank it which i dont understand since it suppose to be a custard. anyways he has no clue. Many people here in New Mexico that I have asked have had it and loved it but have no clue how to make it. Go figure right.. I personally have never had it, but we are having a potluck in my spanish class and i would like to attempt to make it. any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Nicki

Natillas are different depending on which part of the Hispanic world you are from. You should Google it and read the Wikipedia page. It's interesting. Apparently, in Mexico, natillas are more of a drink rather than a thickened custard.

Yeah Andy I seen that there are many different versions of it.. Oh so confusing. I am not making it like a drink. I guess i need to just go for it.. I am so worried I am going to do something wrong or pick the wrong recipe.. I wish I could find someone who has actually made it.. Even spanish instructor was clueless on how to make it. Her family is from spain..

This is the recipe I am going to use I believe..

Natillas Recipe - Food.com - 447437

Hello,
I've had Natilla many times in the past at my favorite Cuban restaurant, and I've also made it myself in the past. I don't like the sound of the recipe you posted, and the photo doesn't look right, either - the custard looks very lumpy, and it should be completely smooth. Unfortunately, I no longer have the recipe I used, but I know that most Natilla recipes use egg yolks only and no whites, plus a little cornstarch to thicken it.

I have 2 recipes in my files from very reliable sources. If you'd like, I can find the links and post them here. I haven't tried these recipes yet, but I trust the sources.

Last edited:
Merstar--please do.. i am getting all the ingredients out now. I did read some that included corn starch and others flour..

I do want it to have a wipped top. so i bought heavy cream to put on top of the custard. I also got anise because i seen it suggested but i tasted it and it reminded me of black licuriouse.(sp) sorry cant spell it..

I do want it to have a wipped top. so i bought heavy cream to put on top of the custard. I also got anise because i seen it suggested but i tasted it and it reminded me of black licuriouse.(sp) sorry cant spell it..

I've never seen it with whipped cream on top, nor with anise. Cinnamon sprinkled on top is the norm.

unfortunately i do not have the evaporated milk or lime. i did see in one of the threads where someone mentioned that adding the egg whites is popular here. i think i am gonna try to make a batch of it and i will let you know.

thanks

Just wanted to let everyone know the natillas i made turned out wonderful. I did not really care for it myself because of the texture but everyone else loved it. I used the recipe i posted but i omitted the egg whites.

Funny thing.. the other day i was in the store and seen a boxed natillas like puddong. it looked nothing like the natillas i made.

Just wanted to let everyone know the natillas i made turned out wonderful. I did not really care for it myself because of the texture but everyone else loved it. I used the recipe i posted but i omitted the egg whites.

Funny thing.. the other day i was in the store and seen a boxed natillas like puddong. it looked nothing like the natillas i made.

What didn't you like about the texture?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom