Help with a chocolate pie or something for company?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macgyver1968

Senior Cook
I've mentioned here before that I take care of a little elderly French lady down the street, who is one of my cooking mentors. Tomorrow night, she and her daughter and son are coming for dinner...and I want to make it as special as possible. I've got the main menu down, but I'm stumped for a desert.

The problem is, we had an unexpected bill, and I'm broke until the first, so I have make something with the ingredients I have. I've got all the basic ingredients to make a chocolate something...unsweetened bakers chocolate, cocoa powder, milk, flour, butter, sugar, a couple of pie crusts, vanilla, etc.

Any suggestions or recipes? I'd like it to be as good to look at as it is to eat.

Thanks,

Mac

Quick and Easy Chocolate Cake
with Chocolate Ganache Frosting

Cake:
1[FONT=PC&#47749]½[/FONT] C Flour (210 gr)
1 C Sugar (210 gr)
3 Tb Unsweetened Cocoa
1 tsp Baking Soda
[FONT=PC&#47749]½[/FONT] tsp Kosher Salt
6 Tb Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Tb White Vinegar
1 C Cold Water

Preheat oven to 350º F (325ºF for dark or glass pan).

Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and coarse salt together in a medium mixing bowl.

Make a well in center of flour mixture and add the oil, vanilla extract, vinegar, and water. Whisk until well combined.

Pour into an 8" square or 9" round cake pan.

Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.

Let it cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.

Ganache for Quick and Easy Chocolate Cake

2 Oz Butter
2 ½ Oz Dark Chocolate
¼ C Light Corn Syrup

Melt the butter in a microwavable bowl.

Add in the chocolate and corn syrup and whisk until smooth.

Pour it over the cake.

You're welcome. It's super simple and delicious. I'd take the cake out of the pan before frosting it.

Is the dark chocolate for the frosting unsweetened or sweetened? I've got some unsweetened bakers chocolate, that I can melt and just add in some confectioners sugar.

We made sweet rolls yesterday, basically yeast pastry dough rolled into a very large rectangle, then brushed with melted butter. Sprinkle on sugar, and walnuts or pecans. What made these rolls unique is that instead of cinnamon and a caramel sauce, we princkled a good bunch of chocolate chips onto the dough, rolled it, cut it, backed it, and topped with chocolate ganache. They were incredible. Who knew?:ohmy::yum:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche!" - Marie Antoinette

The cake recipe that Andy posted is great and it is foolproof! I would go with that for your dinner party.

It is also very good with a plain white frosting made with butter powdered sugar, vanilla, a dash of salt and a little splash of milk.

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche!" - Marie Antoinette

The cake recipe that Andy posted is great and it is foolproof! I would go with that for your dinner party.

It is also very good with a plain white frosting made with butter powdered sugar, vanilla, a dash of salt and a little splash of milk.

With that kind of endorsement, I will have to try it. It looks suspiciously like a red-velvet cake. At least, there are strong similarities. The icing is different though.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thank you for this recipe!

I have made this for years as a whoopie pie filling using crisco. I think this will be a nicer alternative ( I don't dare say healthier! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:).
I made a version of this for the Red Velvet Cupcakes I baked on Valentine's Day. I added 1/2 c melted dark chocolate (after I had whipped the mixture once). The frosting was awesome. I'm never making powdered sugar frosting again.

You could go for good old Brownies. I made some 'Blondies' with white chocolate as a change for our french friends last week. Took us all the way to heaven...;)

Back
Top Bottom