Ideas for using up jam/jellies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Hi, I have a bunch of fruit jam and jellies (several flavors) that I want to use up. My family doesn't eat much jam with toast, hoping to bake some sort of pastry with it. The recipes that I found only use up a tiny bit of jam (thumb print cookies). Anyone have ideas on how to use up my various berry jams? Thanks!

When I have an annoying bit left over when bottling I fold it into puff pastry and turn in into a jum puff. I also make jam tarts for kids (we don't have any children, but there are a lot of other kids in our family) they are useful because thay are quick and easy. a buttery shortcrust pastry, rather than a pate sucre is best, as the jam will other wise be too sweet.
A Victoria sandwich cake is good (and neighbour pleasing...whip up a few sponge cakes and put jam in the middle and give hem to someone you wnt to do a little something nice for). Add a small plate of jam tarts to the gift you'll have firends for life! ;)

There are any number of pastry variations on using up jam.

Pudding: Queen of puddings is a love it or loathe it type of pudding. I love it with a good home made custard.....and its inexpensive to make.

Depending on the flavour of jam/jelly you might be able to use it up in gravies and sauces to. A big spoon of redcurrant jelly usually goes in by lamb gravy, apple in my pork gravy. I have even added blackcurrant jam to gravy, and made a chicken sauce with a tiny bit of raspberry jam and raspberry vinegar.

I use dibs and dabs of jam/jellies to baste chicken, pork, fish while I'm grilling or roasting.

Also - lot of jams/jellies are good over a block of cream cheese with crackers.

Such good ideas you've already gotten. Now I want a surplus of jams too!

When my grandma made pies and had scraps of pastry, she'd re-roll them and slather jam in one part, grated cheddar cheese in another part, then roll each bit up and slice into 1/2" slices which she'd lay on their sides and bake in with the pies. Most of the time, I craved the jam and cheese rolls almost more than the actual pies!

I know, that doesn't use up big quantities, but it uses them up delicious-ly!

You can use them to glaze meats, or make a simple sauce, too; cherry jam would be great on a ham, peach/apricot/blueberries/blackberries on pork, chicken,etc. I make an orange marmalade/horseradish dip for coconut shrimp that's great. You can also use for an appetizer - just put a block of cream cheese on a plate, spread/pour the jam on top, maybe add a few almonds or other nuts, and serve with crackers.

Depending on how much you have you could use them to fill cookies--either sandwich cookies or thumbprints, in a triffle, or watered down a tad and as an icecream topping.

Wow, thanks for all the great ideas!! I would have never thought to do any of this. Ayrton, I happen to have a ball of left over pie crust in the frige and am going to make your Gran's special cookies. :) Also love the idea of flavoring oatmeal!! I never thought of that and do enjoy eating oatmeal.

You can use some of your jam as a flavouring for icings on cakes. Or to flavour whipped cream. Or to spread onto pancakes (crepes), rolled up and served with a dob of cream.

chutnys ,finishing sauces for red meat and game, glazes for pork or duck, thin it out for a faux coulis for desserts, if you make cakes or something, spread between the layers...

Leftover Jam on Pork

Mix leftover jam with something spicy/sour (like a chopped jalapeno pepper or even just a bit of wine vinegar or lemon juice to counter balance the sweetness) and pour it over a pork loin or pork chops.

Bake covered with foil or a lid until the pork is cooked.

The jam makes a yummy sauce for the pork.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom