Is there a difference in the brand of flour you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did you know you can make your own "Wondra" by whirling a-p flour in your food processor? Saves money and storage space. The same way you can make superfine sugar out of regular cane sugar. :chef:

Yes I knew that and thanks for the reminder. ;)

I feel about all purpose flour like I feel about all purpose potatoes; I don't like them. If I want to make mashed potatoes, I want russets. When I make potato salad, I want a waxy potato. All purpose things are too much of a compromise for me.

But to be honest, I am a one person flour:mrgreen:. I like to find one flour, learn its sublities, and stick with that flour. I only like to make yeast breads with King Arthur Traditional WW flour and make cookies and such with an organic soft whole wheat flour. I'm after flavor, and the care that was taken in producing the grain. And I am willing to pay for it. Although I have never paid over $4.00 for a 5# bag of KA ww flour, I certainly would pay $5. or more.

I feel about all purpose flour like I feel about all purpose potatoes; I don't like them. If I want to make mashed potatoes, I want russets. When I make potato salad, I want a waxy potato. All purpose things are too much of a compromise for me.

But to be honest, I am a one person flour:mrgreen:. I like to find one flour, learn its sublities, and stick with that flour. I only like to make yeast breads with King Arthur Traditional WW flour and make cookies and such with an organic soft whole wheat flour. I'm after flavor, and the care that was taken in producing the grain. And I am willing to pay for it. Although I have never paid over $4.00 for a 5# bag of KA ww flour, I certainly would pay $5. or more.

KA is selling a lot of flours in dinky 3 lb bags.

For general cooking, I used to buy the well known brands, but after trying the cheap "own brand" supermarket flour, I found there was no difference.
However for breadmaking I buy Allison's.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom