ISO Cheesecake help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kesandra simon

Assistant Cook
hi how are you i want to know to make a cheese cake
cheese cake

Last edited by a moderator:
hi how are you i want to know to make a cheese cake
cheese%20cake
Hi Kesandra, welcome to DC. If you would like I can move your question into the desserts thread. That way you will get some help with making cheesecake.
kadesma:)

Hi Kesandra, welcome to DC. If you would like I can move your question into the desserts thread. That way you will get some help with making cheesecake.
kadesma:)

Beat you to it kadesma!;)
Ah Geez, old age got me again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so this thread made me want to make some cheesecake. Never made one before but what the heck right?

Did a Black Forest Cheesecake.

Not the prettiest looking one, but it was tastey. I opted to use canned bing cherries instead of the pie filling for topping.

Attachments

• Cheesecake.jpg
    Cheesecake.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 193
FrankZ's Black Forest Cheesecake

Though I could be considered bias, this was the best cheesecake I've ever had. The use of the bing cherries rather than the use of pie filling was a good one. The flavor of the cheesecake easily blended with the taste of the cherries. The cherry taste was not overwhelmed by the sticky sweetness of pie filling. The cheesecake was perfect in it was not to moist or dry. The whipping cream added the hint of creaminess that made the entire thing excellent. Totally yummy and could be served without apology during the holiday season!

~Kathleen

She is. I make her say good things like that by telling her she won't get any more if she doesn't. :D

Here is some advice I have gathered from my years of cheesecake making.

1. Always use name brand cream cheese (like Philly) and not the low fat kind. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!
2. To keep the outer edge from browning, cover loosely with foil. I saved a foil ring from another dessert. Works great!
3. When pressing the crust/butter mixture against the sides of the springform pan, wrap your hand in saran wrap (this tip is from my cheesecake cookbook).
4. Wrap the bottom of the pan in foil to prevent leaks.
5. Pampered Chef has a very good springform pan, with handles and a glass bottom for about $35.

For a perfect cheesecake cook in moist heat. Fill a 9x13 pan 1/4 way with water, place on bottom rack, place cheesecake on middle rack. It helps with cracking.

Liz

I helped with the entire presentation. I made the platter. And it would be a tremendous tragity not to have another piece of that cheesecake. :)

Slightly random but, back in the day, we used to have parties called the [fill-in-the-blank] and cheesecake parties. Like Chinese food and cheesecake. Or Chicken wings and cheesecake. I love to cook, but hate to bake. Frank's cheesecake makes me want to revisit those parties.

~Kathleen

Yum. Can I come to one of those parties? I'll bring whatever you want...main course OR cheesecake. Sounds like my kind of shindig.

For a perfect cheesecake cook in moist heat. Fill a 9x13 pan 1/4 way with water, place on bottom rack, place cheesecake on middle rack. It helps with cracking.

Liz

I get cracks in my plain cheesecake, which I think it due to improper cooking temp or time. In any case, I usually get some white chocolate and milk chocolate and shave both until the crack are filled in. No one complains!:)

I get cracks in my plain cheesecake, which I think it due to improper cooking temp or time. In any case, I usually get some white chocolate and milk chocolate and shave both until the crack are filled in. No one complains!:)

Cheesecake spackle... I like it.

LOL, spackle! I love that. And vagriller, thanks for the idea, I'll be using that one at Christmas.

I make a 10" NY style cheesecake. I put the springform into 12" diameter saute pan and put boiling water in it.

Not overbeating the batter and moderating heat changes prevents cracks. The water bath helps moderate the heat during cooking. When the cheesecake is done, I shut off the oven and leave it in there for an hour to cool slowly. Then it sits on the counter on a cooling rack for several hours before I refrigerate. Never had a crack.

I wrap the springform in HD foil.

I use a flat-bottomed measuring cup or glass to tamp down the GC crumbs and press them into side of the pan.

LOL, spackle! I love that. And vagriller, thanks for the idea, I'll be using that one at Christmas.

Hey, any excuse to add chocolate works! I once sliced fresh strawberries and arranged them in a ring. I put white chocolate outside the ring and milk chocolate inside the ring, and the cake sold for $70 at a charity auction!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom