ISO help w/Cool Whip's sustainability on the table

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
Hi everyone. If I wanted to say put a cool whip (or something similar?) on a pie, would it stay together or would it eventually melt down. I need to have the pie out for a good hour to an hour and a half before serving it.

Please don't use Cool Whip.

Real whipped cream will do the trick:

Whipped Cream

2 C Heavy Cream
1 Tb Vanilla Extract
¼ C Confectioners Sugar

Chill a stainless steel bowl and the beaters (or whisk) in the freezer prior to use.

Add the cream and vanilla to the bowl and whip at high speed until soft peaks form.

Add the sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks are obtained.

I would be concerned about whipped cream holding up for that long without some type of stabilizer.

An old German pastry chef in our city used to mix equal parts of whipped cream and Rich Whip together because he felt it gave the taste of the fresh whipped cream along with a certain amount of stability. Rich Whip is a Cool Whip like product.

If this is for an important event in your life I would try an experiment. A tub of Cool Whip vs a 1/2 pint of whipped cream and then a combination of the two. The test won't cost more than three bucks and it will give you some peace of mind.

I guess I am sort of a coward! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
I would be concerned about whipped cream holding up for that long without some type of stabilizer.

An old German pastry chef in our city used to mix equal parts of whipped cream and Rich Whip together because he felt it gave the taste of the fresh whipped cream along with a certain amount of stability. Rich Whip is a Cool Whip like product.

If this is for an important event in your life I would try an experiment. A tub of Cool Whip vs a 1/2 pint of whipped cream and then a combination of the two. The test won't cost more than three bucks and it will give you some peace of mind.

I guess I am sort of a coward! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Aunt Bea, SO uses this recipe with cocoa powder added as a frosting for a chocolate cake. It holds up quite well. I've used it as written above and it holds up well as a dessert topping for quite some time.

I think the cornstarch in the confectioners sugar stabilizes the whipped cream.

Aunt Bea, SO uses this recipe with cocoa powder added as a frosting for a chocolate cake. It holds up quite well. I've used it as written above and it holds up well as a dessert topping for quite some time.

I think the cornstarch in the confectioners sugar stabilizes the whipped cream.

The cornstarch may be the key, I normally use granulated sugar.

I'm still a coward! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom