ISO help with leftover cooked rice - pudding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoothseas

Senior Cook
In order to support a local business, we ordered Chinese takeout tonight. There's a a plethora of rice left. Has anyone ever made rice pudding with leftover long-grain white rice?

I went a-goggling and found a small handful of recipes, but I was wondering if using precooked rice would compromise the integrity of the dish.

tia for any and all input...

Ooo, leftover rice! I keep it really simple: heat rice, sprinkle generously with cinnamon and sugar, and add desired amount of milk.

Sorry I can't help on the rice pudding question. I'm more of a bread pudding kinda gal myself.

Here's a recipe that I've been making since the 70s! It makes a fairly firm pudding - reduce the eggs to 2, for a thinner pudding.

1½ c cooked rice
1/2 c sugar
3 eggs
2 c milk
1/2 c raisins (optional, but good)
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon, plus some for sprinkling
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cardamom (if you like it)

Preheat oven to 325°. Butter a 1½ qt casserole.

In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, then add the milk, rice, and seasonings. Pour into the casserole, and bake 25 minutes, then stir. Sprinkle with some more cinnamon, and bake another 20-25 minutes, or until a knife test comes out clean. Serve warm or chilled.

CG makes rice pudding like my mom used to do, sort of like oatmeal but with cinnamon. Was good.

Dave's recipe is how SO makes it and how I make it now too. Much more satisfying. + points for adding a pinch cardamom. I thought we invented that little addition. Pretty glad you do the same, and it's ok to omit for the non- cardamom folks too.

CG makes rice pudding like my mom used to do, sort of like oatmeal but with cinnamon. Was good.

Dave's recipe is how SO makes it and how I make it now too. Much more satisfying. + points for adding a pinch cardamom. I thought we invented that little addition. Pretty glad you do the same, and it's ok to omit for the non- cardamom folks too.

The cardamom addition is an Indian influence.

My mom used to make rice pudding on the stovetop.

One of the other rice pudding recipes I have in my blue book was my Mom's - made in a double boiler, and soupy, so I don't really use that recipe. The other is a maple syrup recipe - starts with uncooked rice, and cooks for a long time in a very low oven, so I don't use that any more, but I occasionally use 1/4 c maple syrup, and just a scant 1/4 c sugar, in my favorite recipe.

I would try one of the old recipes for Glorified Rice.

Some have a custard base others use whipped cream, sour cream, miniature marshmallows and most of them contain crushed pineapple.

Another option would be to reheat it for a simple breakfast cereal and serve it with a little brown sugar, cinnamon, and milk.

Good luck!

Last edited:
You could use the rice but I would suggest that if you do....do it ASAP. You don't know how long the rice had been in the serving bin at the restaurant or how well it was cooked. Generally, use it up 24 hours after it was cooked. But some suggest it will keep in the fridge for up to a week. (with this said most restaurants are very cautious with rice)

Just a heads up for why I say this. Rice is vulnerable to "Bacillus cereus" spores and if not cooked long enough to destroy them, then it could lead to a toxin called "cereulide". If refrigerated and reheated later it may not destroy it and it could lead to illness. Drinking an alcohol beverage with the rice may not kill it either.

I make rice pudding frequently with raisins and cinnamon in it. My rice is cooked right before making any dish. I allow 1/2 C raw rice per person dining...which is about a 1 1/2 C portion of cooked rice per person.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom