Question About Pots De Creme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
I made some yesterday for the frst time & since I've never had it have no clue what it should look or taste like. Can anyone tell me? It came out almost the consistency of fudge & is very rich. It tastes great but I'm just curious if it's supposed to be so thick. Here's the recipe I used.

1C. (6oz) simisweet chocolate morsels
1C. whipping cream
1/2C half & half
2 egg yolks

Combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan over low heat. Stir constantly until chocolate is melted.

Beat egg yolks until thick & pale. Slowly stir 1/4 of hot chocolate mixture into eggs while stirring constantly; add to remaining hot chocolate mixture.

Cook over low heat for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly. Spoon into individual pots de creme cups or custard cups. Cover & chill before serving. Serves 4-6.

One other thing, is Pots prnounced like it's spelled or is the "t" silent as in the word "depot"?

Last edited:
Crewsk - sounds kind of like one of my pot au chocolat recipes. It is meant to be fairly dense and very, very chocolate-y.

The recipe I use gives results that are thicker than a mousse,but still soft, and not as 'set' as fudge - if that makes any sense!

I serve mine in demi-tasse cups - that's usually more than enough per person after a main course!

Oh and I say 'poh'.... :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I agree with Ishbel. The recipe I have is more like a mousse, too, but based on your recipe, it looks like yours turned out correctly.

Did your family like them?:chef:

But not something you could pig-out on as they are soooooo rich!

Mind you, some of my family would have a really good time trying :chef:

Yep, Ishbel, that makes perfect sense! Hubby said it was way too rich for him but the kids & I loved it. I have another recipe that is slightly diffrent & I want to try it too. Thanks everyone for your help! I feel better about them now.:)

Crews, when you want to have a 'grown up' version of this, serve it with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream that's been flavored with your favorite liquour! Amaretto, Francelica, etc!

Ishbel said:
But not something you could pig-out on as they are soooooo rich!

Mind you, some of my family would have a really good time trying :chef:
So would my family Ishbel, then they would crawl instead of walk away from the table:LOL: But they would have fun doing it:LOL:
kadesma

Here's the other one.

2C. whipping cream
6oz. semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/3C. sugar
4 beaten egg yolks
1tsp. vanilla
white chocolate curls (optional)

Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium heavy saucepan. Cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat or until mixture comes to a full boil & thickens. (If chocolate flecks remain, use a wire whisk to beat until blended.)

Gradually stir all the chocolate mixture into the beaten egg yolks & stir in vanilla. Spoon evenly into 8 sake cups, small cups, dots de creme cups, or 3oz. ramekins. Cover & chill for 4 to 24 hours before serving. Garnish with white chocolate curls if desired.

Mocha Pots de Creme: Prepare as above, adding 1Tbsp. instant espresso coffee powder or 2Tbsp. instant coffee granules to whipping cream mixture before heating.

Last edited:
When you try either one, let me know how you like it. I was craving chocolate whan I made them & after eating it I shouldn't have another chocolate craving for several years!!:LOL:

I'm stuck at home tomorrow because we have work being done on the plumbing and a window being cut so I may try the first one out tomorrow. It will be a nice treat for my chocoholic husband for dessert.

Back
Top Bottom