Slice of Sin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
This is definately for those who live for chocolate! I never did until my first bite of this :p

SLICES OF SIN
(serves 10-12)

8 oz. semisweet chocolate (use a good brand)
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee (not instant)
2 sticks butter
1 cup sugar
4 eggs (do not pour in one bowl)
1 cup heavy cream (to be beaten at end and used under the slice - you can lightly sweeten the whipped cream if you want - but not too much)

Preheat oven to 350°

Line a glass loaf pan with foil (I only had light gray). In the top of a double boiler melt the chocolate in the coffee. Add the butter and sugar, stirring until the butter is melted.

Cool the mixture for 10 minutes then beat in 1 egg at a time. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake until a crust forms on top, approximately 35-45 minutes. (the sides of mine came up higher for some reason)

Set the loaf pan in enough cool water to come halfway up the pan. The dessert will rise and fall as it cools.

When cool, wrap the pan well and refrigerate for at least 2 days or up to 2 weeks. (this helps set it).

When ready to serve unmold and slice and place a little whipped cream on a plate and a slice of sin on top.

Last edited:
"Oh, good God love me! And this desert!"
Wish I was home. Now I have to put 3 deserts on the table for Valentines Day fondue dinn dinn.

thanks for bringing this back up, I didn't know it existed!

The problem with this recipe is that it wouldn't be one slice of sin.

For me.. it'd be a panful of sin!! SOUNDS GREAT.

THANK YOU!!

Heart day would be a great day to serve this. WONDERFUL! :D

Wouldn't this be good with some vanilla ice cream?

kitchenelf said:
This is definately for those who live for chocolate! I never did until my first bite of this :p

SLICES OF SIN
(serves 10-12)

8 oz. semisweet chocolate (use a good brand)
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee (not instant)
2 sticks butter
1 cup sugar
4 eggs (do not pour in one bowl)
1 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350?

Line a glass loaf pan with foil (I only had light gray). In the top of a double boiler melt the chocolate in the coffee. Add the butter and sugar, stirring until the butter is melted.

Cool the mixture for 10 minutes then beat in 1 egg at a time. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake until a crust forms on top, approximately 35-45 minutes. (the sides of mine came up higher for some reason)

Set the loaf pan in enough cool water to come halfway up the pan. The dessert will rise and fall as it cools.

When cool, wrap the pan well and refrigerate for at least 2 days or up to 2 weeks. (this helps set it).

When ready to serve unmold and slice and place a little whipped cream on a plate and a slice of sin on top.

I'm having a duh moment. When do I OR do I add the heavy cream? Is that the ingredient for the whipped cream after or does it go into the melted chocolate? I am there, and just finished adding the sugar and butter, it's melted, uh, now what? cream or no cream? :?

I think the heavy cream is to whip....and then set the Sin on top.

Raspberries come to mind, for me. Mmmmmm!

Last edited:
Doubled, this is basically the chocolate mousse cake I make--flourless chocolate cake. It is absolutely delicious and I kind of like the idea of a loaf pan slice. How high is the cake?--size of slice?

Gretchen,

When I make this in a loaf pan it "comes in" 3 textures all in the same loaf - kind of fudgey, kind of cakey, and kind of more creamy but not quite fudgey - it is the height of the loaf pan (roughly, a little lower than the top).

I guess I get all those textures because of the height of the loaf pan? It's soooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!! It was weird the first time I made it to watch it fall/rise/fall/rise/fall during the cooling process (well, weird for me 'cause I DO NOT bake! :LOL: )

I'm not a coffee drinker and I can't make it very well either........in fact a friend of mine came over recently and I attempted to make her a pot and she told me, "I can pee darker than that" :LOL: .

Needless to say I need help in determing how to do the strong coffe part.

SizzlininIN said:
I'm not a coffee drinker and I can't make it very well either........in fact a friend of mine came over recently and I attempted to make her a pot and she told me, "I can pee darker than that" :LOL: .

Needless to say I need help in determing how to do the strong coffe part.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

If you make 1 cup of coffee (which my coffee maker doesn't read the water until it guages 3 cups so I always have to make 3) - for each cup you HAVE to make in yours use 3 TBS per cup - that's what I do. My normal coffee is 1 TBS (not level but not rounded either) per cup mark on my coffee pot.

Gretchen - you could probably answer this - if someone just didn't like coffee could they use an extra strong hot chocolate - in keeping with the chocolate theme?

Just made this tonight, and boy does it smell great. I wish I could try it tonight, but I'm going to let it set the requisite amount of time before testing. I plan to save most of this to serve on Thanksgiving, but wanted to leave enough time to make another if needed. Also, for any who have tried this already, what would you think about adding a layer of ganache to it after it sets for a couple of days first? I think it might add a nice textural variation to it.

Last week I started to make this,but did not because of the whipping cream issue. I looked up countless recipes for a flourless chocolate cake and was not able to determine if the cream was to be added to the batter, or just used in the presentation.

What do you all think? Should the cup of cream be added to the batter, and when? Or do you have another TNT recipe for a flourless choc cake??

I really want to make this, but am shy because of my reservations regarding the ingredients.

Beth, the heavy cream I think is to be beaten into whipping cream and served on top of the cake. That would be my best guess anyway. Hopefully kitchenelf will be along shortly to tell you for sure.

Yes, I'm fairly sure the cream is to be whipped and added on the side, the mixture was quite runny enough without adding an additional cup of cream to it. There was a point where I was having trouble getting the sugar to incorporate properly, it was still very grainy in the molten chocolate mixture, and I didn't want to get the heat so high as to burn the chocolate. At that point I thought a little bit of extra liquid would be nice, but on towards the end you could tell that the cream was meant to be added on the side.

After it sets the requisite 2 days I'll be sampling a little slice of it, and possibly adding the ganache, so I'll let you know how it turns out.

I will go back and edit/clarify that issue. Yes, the whipping cream is just to be whipped and used as a garnish - well, edible garnish! LOL

I will go clarify.

college cook - wait a minute here - you are going to add ganache to a cake that is nothing but pure chocolate anyway? Is there supposed to be a problem with that? :ROFLMAO: Sounds heavenly. And I have only been able to wait the REQUIRED 3 days before digging in. They say that if you wait longer though it's even better! I can't wait to hear how the ganache is with it!

kitchenelf said:
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Gretchen - you could probably answer this - if someone just didn't like coffee could they use an extra strong hot chocolate - in keeping with the chocolate theme?

Yes, I would like to know about this, too. My boyfriend detests any form of flavor of coffee, but he would love this dessert otherwise.

What would be a good substitute for the coffee? How about a nutty liqueur, like Frangelico?

Lee

QSis said:
How about a nutty liqueur, like Frangelico?

Lee

Holy Cow! This recipe just keeps getting better doesn't it? Ganache, Frangelico? I can only assume liquid is liquid - but I'm not a baker so don't trust what I say!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom