Storing Brown Sugar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
I have tried a number of things to keep this from drying out, including keeping in a ziploc bag, as well as a vacuum sealed container, all with little success. I remember a post from chef John (of FoodWishes.com) where he doesn't even mess with it anymore, preferring to add molasses to white sugar instead.

Short of that, do any of you have a tried and true method for successfully storing brown sugar that does not dry out?

I heartily agree. I keep thinking I found a way but... if not used within 2 (maybe 3) weeks starts to get hard and t'ain't nuttin yuh can do.

I have done the molasses way but it takes practice to not add too much. I love molasses but not in everything that takes brown sugar.

I keep my brown sugar in a half gallon canning jar and add 5 large marshmallows to the jar. I'm two years on the same 5 marshmallows and the brown sugar is as soft as went it went into the jar.

I buy a big bag of brown sugar and transfer some into a quart Ziplock that I keep in a kitchen cabinet. I guess the Ziplock does a good job of holding the moisture in as I never have an issue with the sugar bricking up.

Have you tried one of those terra cotta disks that you soak in water then put into the bag with the sugar?

https://www.amazon.com/JBK-Hummingb...612132120&sprefix=terra+cotta+,aps,278&sr=8-2

I bought two sets of these canisters for dry food storage - the brand is Joseph Joseph. I haven't had any issues with the brown sugar getting hard since I got these. Btw, you can put a few apple slices in your canister overnight to loosen it up.
e743795d-69b2-4525-a727-53b618e0d0ab_1.7e9b446c33e5806b22b0cf286a6cd9b8.jpg

GG, I used to put a slice of white bread into the sugar container if my brown sugar got hard. Worked for Mom, so it worked for me.

...Have you tried one of those terra cotta disks that you soak in water then put into the bag with the sugar?...[/url]
I have one in the shape of a bear. Works great! $4 spent decades ago and still going strong.

A number of years ago, I found a "Sugar Bear".

IMG_0255.jpg

I douse him under the tap each time I open the
Zip-top bag and it's worked super for me.

If I do have a bag of Brown Sugar that I've pulled
out of my auxiliary pantry, I just toss it into
the `Micro for a few seconds, keep it a good
Squish and we're all good.

I have done the molasses way but it takes practice to not add too much. I love molasses but not in everything that takes brown sugar.
Mostly I don't buy brown sugar anymore. I use it seldom. I just add a bit of molasses to white sugar. I add a little and stir it well and see if it is dark enough. Add a tiny bit more, stir again, and decide if it's dark enough yet. Works well for me.
I just do what I gotta do..break hunks off of it..I've put it in my small blender to break it up, use a mortar and pestle for small amounts, etc...that's the way she goes
Sometimes I grate it.

I have recuperated hard brown sugar by putting various things in the jar or bag with the hard brown sugar: a lettuce leaf, some apple peel, a damp paper towel (not as good as the other options), a cabbage leaf, a bit of orange peel, a few slices of potato, and probably some moist stuff I don't remember at the moment. The moisture methods take several hours to a couple of days, depending on how much brown sugar and how hard it is. I like the sound of Beth's marshmallow suggestion.

Zip lock bag inside of an old Christmas cookie tin. Never had a problem, even when it isn't used for months on end.

Thanks for all of your comments. I've heard of the little ceramic thingies. So mold is not an issue with these or other suggestions of using moist items?

Marshmallows seems like a good alternative but I never have them on hand.

A number of years ago, I found a "Sugar Bear".

View attachment 45344

I douse him under the tap each time I open the
Zip-top bag and it's worked super for me.

If I do have a bag of Brown Sugar that I've pulled
out of my auxiliary pantry, I just toss it into
the `Micro for a few seconds, keep it a good
Squish and we're all good.

I've seen similar items like your bear but I was too cheap, um, frugal to buy any. Instead I took several shards of a terra cotta flower pot, ran them through the dishwasher several times and after they were thoroughly dry, I placed them in my brown sugar. I keep the sugar in an eons-old Tupperware cannister and the sugar is always soft. Been doing this for more years than I remember.

I got this several years ago. Love it and never have a problem. I soak the disks in hot water. I also have a second terracotta disk I used in a Tupperware container for years.

Prep Solutions by Progressive Brown Sugar Keeper with Lid, 1.5 Quarts

View attachment 45347
I like that idea of the terra cotta disk combined with the container!

I keep mine in sealed jars; when I used to bake large numbers of cookies, I kept a gallon jar of each, but now I keep a 2 qt jar of light and dark. I have a couple terra cotta things - sort of like a fancy cookie shape, to soak and re-hydrate the sugar, if it hardens up.

I have had a cabbage leaf grow mould. The brown sugar was in a fairly airtight bag and it had been there a while. Usually, the moist thing just starts drying up. If it is too moist, it can make the sugar that it is touching go white or almost white.

Back
Top Bottom