Substitute for Bakers Chocolate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianMorin

Senior Cook
I am wondering if I can substitute cocoa powder, in someway, for bakers chocolate in the bar form??? I feel that one might have to add some butter or milk, or something to the cocoa to give you a working consitance. Or maybe you can just use in as is (with the possible addition of sweetener) to a milk based food??? Questions, questions, questions... :rolleyes:

If someone has some suggestions they would be much appreciated.

Bakers chocolate is unsweetened and cocoa powder is sweet so I do not think one would make a good sub for the other.

What are you making where you would want a substitute?

Bakers is also a brand of chocolate.

From Joy of Baking.com

"To convert a cake recipe that uses bittersweet or semisweet chocolate to one using cocoa:(information taken from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cake Bible)

Substitute 1 tablespoon plus 1 3/4 teaspoons (9.5 grams) of cocoa, 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon (14.5 grams) granulated white sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 grams) unsalted butter for every ounce (28 grams) of bittersweet or semisweet chocolate. Also, dissolve the cocoa in at least 1/4 cup (60 ml) hot liquid to bring out the cocoa's full flavor.

To convert a cake recipes that uses unsweetened chocolate to one using cocoa: (information taken from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cake Bible)

Substitute 3 tablespoons (18 grams) cocoa plus 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter for every 1 ounce (28 grams) of unsweetened chocolate. Dissolve the cocoa in at least 2 tablespoons of liquid in the recipe to bring out the cocoa's full flavor."

Last edited by a moderator:
GB said:
Bakers chocolate is unsweetened and cocoa powder is sweet so I do not think one would make a good sub for the other.

What are you making where you would want a substitute?

Hi GB, I am talking about 100% cocoa, un-sweetened and unadulteraded, right from the cocoa bean. Rosted and ground.:cool:

jennyema said:
Bakers is also a brand of chocolate.

From Joy of Baking.com

"To convert a cake recipe that uses bittersweet or semisweet chocolate to one using cocoa:(information taken from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cake Bible)
Substitute 1 tablespoon plus 1 3/4 teaspoons (9.5 grams) of cocoa, 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon (14.5 grams) granulated white sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 grams) unsalted butter for every ounce (28 grams) of bittersweet or semisweet chocolate. Also, dissolve the cocoa in at least 1/4 cup (60 ml) hot liquid to bring out the cocoa's full flavor.
To convert a cake recipes that uses unsweetened chocolate to one using cocoa: (information taken from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cake Bible)
Substitute 3 tablespoons (18 grams) cocoa plus 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter for every 1 ounce (28 grams) of unsweetened chocolate. Dissolve the cocoa in at least 2 tablespoons of liquid in the recipe to bring out the cocoa's full flavor."

Bingo! Thanks a lot...

Hi Brain;
use a high quality red cocoa because of it`s high cocoa butter content.
The ratio is three tlbs. cocoa plus one tlbs. butter for a one ounce square
of unsweetened chocolate. Good luck and let me know what you made and how it tuned out.
T.T.F.N
Randall 27.

randall27 said:
Hi Brain;
of unsweetened chocolate. Good luck and let me know what you made and how it tuned out.
T.T.F.N
Randall 27.

Thanks Randall; I'm going to be making chocolate cheese cake with citrus zest (orange, lime and lemon) and a touch of the juice from all three.

jennyema said:
...To convert a cake recipes that uses unsweetened chocolate to one using cocoa: (information taken from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cake Bible)

Hi Jennyemma:

I went onto the Karft website to find out how many squares there was in an ounce and could not find the answer. I left them a message, but probably will not recieve an answer till Monday; I am wanting to make a chocolate cheese cake this week-end. If you know the answer, which I'm pretty sure you do, please give my cage a shake.

I'm still not really sure of which direction you are going here, Bri - but generally a "square" of baking chocolate is 1 oz - but read the label to double check.

Since you mention the Kraft website - are you trying to make one of the Kraft Chocolate Cheesecake recipes using cocoa powder instead of bar chocolate?

Jennyema gave you some good advice a couple of days ago ... but here is another "how to sub chocolates" website at Baking 911

Bri, I don't know the conversion, but I'll rattle your cage anyway:LOL:. I wonder if you could use a tsp or so of instant coffee granules. Never tried it myself.

Here are a few recipes for chocolate cheesecake that don't include Baker's Chocolate. Perhaps you can tweak the recipe to your liking. (The coffee liqueur and maple syrup sound interesting.)

http://www1.xe.net/lowfat/recipes/des_0003.htm

http://cheesecake-recipes.kraftfoods.com/cheesecake_31.html
(I would definitely omit the cookies on the outside here :LOL: .)

http://cake.allrecipes.com/AZ/DibticFrindlyChcltChsck.asp

Last edited:
Michael in FtW said:
I'm still not really sure of which direction you are going here, Bri - but generally a "square" of baking chocolate is 1 oz - but read the label to double check.

Since you mention the Kraft website - are you trying to make one of the Kraft Chocolate Cheesecake recipes using cocoa powder instead of bar chocolate?

Jennyema gave you some good advice a couple of days ago ... but here is another "how to sub chocolates" website at Baking 911

Thanks Micheal, I've taken note of the site. The problem I was having was this: the recipies were saying i.e. one square of chocolate, the great information that Jennyema gave me was saying 28g or 32g (plus oz equivalents). I wanted to believe that one square was an oz or 28 grams but dared not... :chicken: ← if you didn't know this is a chicken.

Thanks Micheal...

mish said:
Bri, I don't know the conversion, but I'll rattle your cage anyway:LOL:. I wonder if you could use a tsp or so of instant coffee granules. Never tried it myself.

Here are a few recipes for chocolate cheesecake that don't include Baker's Chocolate. Perhaps you can tweak the recipe to your liking. (The coffee liqueur and maple syrup sound interesting.)

http://www1.xe.net/lowfat/recipes/des_0003.htm

http://cheesecake-recipes.kraftfoods.com/cheesecake_31.html
(I would definitely omit the cookies on the outside here :LOL: .)

http://cake.allrecipes.com/AZ/DibticFrindlyChcltChsck.asp

Waw, this is great. To late for my present needs, but is on my future cheese cake list. When I make cheese cake for a friend I make it with all the works, fat and all, but for myself I think I could use something with a little bit less fat and sugar. These recipes are definitely worth checking out.

Oh ya, I'd lose the cookies too. :)

randall27 said:
Hi Brain;
T.T.F.N
Randall 27.

Chocolate cheese cake. and I'll let you know.

Sorry but what is T.T.F.N. ← Newbee to the chat scene :sleep:

Thanks Randall

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom