Sugar Free tapioca.. problem with texture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mntwister

Assistant Cook
Greetings. I love Kraft Minute Tapioca. I usually make the entire box at one time. One box takes a full gallon of milk, 6 eggs, the tapioca and 2 cups of sugar.

I love my tapioca to be kind of like a gel, real gooey. But when I substituted Splenda for the sugar, it came out more of a foamy texture and I didn't like it at all. I figure it must be the breaking down of the sugar creates a syrup so to speak, which makes the tapioca more gooey. I am wondering if anyone knows how I could use the splenda or other sugar substitute and keep the texture the same as it should be (the way it comes out as directed on the side of the box with the sugar). Would more eggs help? Less eggs? I am really hoping I can find a way to make it without the added sugar that has the texture of the recipe on the box.

There is a desert called Panacotta that disolves unflavorwed gelatine into hot milk, with vanilla, and normally, sugar to create a starch-free custard. You could adapt this to your tap;ioca, adding the unflavored gelatin to you tapioca recipe. Another option is to use One of the sugar alcohols, as they mimic sugar in texture. Erythritol is generally considered the best if these, as it has no calories, and does not raise blood sugar levels. Also, it doesn't cause the gastric problems associated with some of the other sugar alcohols. On brand is = https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004X71550?tag=dotdashvwellf-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=4173504%7Cn710a1157b73b4827997a41c16a1d8ad503.

Good luck in your quest for great tapioca pudding. It brings back fond memories of eating at my grandparent's home when I was a child.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom