Tapioca pudding - help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

profnot

Cook
I made tapioca pudding from the box, following the directions but used almond milk instead of dairy milk.

I've made this a few times with the same disappointing results: the pudding just doesn't set up nicely. The tapioca pearls stay small, even if I soak them longer. I tried boiling a few minutes longer this time, which helped a little.

Is it the almond milk or is it me?

Is this yet another chemistry thing I don't understand?

My allergies prefer me to avoid dairy so I'd like to solve this problem.

Many thanks for your help!

I have 30 years of experience failing to make good large pearl tapioca in milk. Gramma could do it and I cannot.

Interesting.. I grew up eating tapioca pudding but, haven't had it for many years.. I have to try some again..

I've never made it myself so, that might be interesting.. :ermm:

Ross

I haven't had tapioca pudding since I was in primary school but the very thought of it still gives me a bad attack of the shudders. We used to call it frogspawn - all slimey and yuk.

I made tapioca pudding from the box, following the directions but used almond milk instead of dairy milk.

I've made this a few times with the same disappointing results: the pudding just doesn't set up nicely. The tapioca pearls stay small, even if I soak them longer. I tried boiling a few minutes longer this time, which helped a little.

Is it the almond milk or is it me?

Is this yet another chemistry thing I don't understand?

My allergies prefer me to avoid dairy so I'd like to solve this problem.

Many thanks for your help!
If I remember correctly from my last student vac when I worked as a cook in an old people's home - tapioca comes in different sized pearls. Perhaps you had a small version?

One day my boss had a bunch of root canals and dental work. He came to work looking like someone took a jack hammer to his mouth. He was almost crying. It was lunch time and I asked him if he ate anything today, he said no. I took pity on him and went out and found him some motherly love, it was tapioca in a little yogurt like container, and I told him 'eat', 'you need some nourishment'. He ate it, he still looked like hell when he left work.

My sisters convinced me that tapioca pudding was made from snots when we were kids.

I still can't eat it today.

I learned to make tapioca pudding as a teenager, and it was good! Today, I have no idea how I made it -- I drank like a judge back in those days. ;)

Glad to be of no help! :D

CD

profnot, I found a successful vegan recipe that omits all dairy. She suggests soaking the tapioca pearls in the non-dairy milk overnight. Even though the recipe is called "Gluten-Free Vegan Coconut Mango Tapioca Pudding", it might have some helpful hints that don't involve ingredients you don't care to us.

My sisters convinced me that tapioca pudding was made from snots when we were kids.

I still can't eat it today.
My Mom loved it as a kid and adult. She would call it "fish eyes in glue" and neither of her sisters could eat it. More for Mom!

Didn't bother me in the least no matter what Mom called it, I liked the stuff. She would make more so she had plenty, too. :LOL:

I would say soak the tapioca overnight and then make the pudding. I love the stuff, but since it is mostly starch and sugar, I can't eat it on my current diet.

Mad Cook, tapioca and coconut milk is one of the few things a friend can eat, so I make that fro dessert and well I have a happy friend.

Soaking the tapioca pearls in the almond or soy milk worked great!

And since I added cardamom and nutmeg, the taste was lovely.

Thank you so much for the tips!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom