The best baking powder for baking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinkaholic

Assistant Cook
Can anyone please tell me what is the best brand for baking powder? I forgot what's the brand name...

Thank you.

Clabber Girl is another common brand. All are fine. The most important thing with baking powder is freshness. I buy mine in small quantities and use it up or throw it out every 4 to 6 months (regardless of the expiration date on the container).

I don't think the brand is very important. Look for double acting baking powder. More important is the expiration date.

I agree with Andy. I've used all the brands mentioned with good success. Just check the expiation date on the bottom of the can. Also, if you don't bake often, buy the small cans -- you may go through more cans, but you'll always have fresh baking powder. And, BTW, freshness does matter -- I understand from people who have used past-date baking powder that it simply doesn't work.

The "sell by" dates on the containers refer to unopened containers. If you live in a humid climate as I do, forget the sell by date. Once it's open, it will only maintain peak freshness for 4 to 6 months, even though it may still be in date. Baking powder is cheap. Buy in small quantities and replace it regularly. I advise the same with dry herbs and spices. I buy most in small celophane packages (Badia) and replace them frequently, often with every use.

I don't think the brand is very important. Look for double acting baking powder. More important is the expiration date.
Yes, expiration date is important, but just because the product is within the date, it doesn't mean it's fresh. Someone posted this test, I don't remember who, but I found it on the internet.

Before using baking powder to test for freshness, do the following:
Put 1 teaspoon in half a glass of hot water. If fresh, it will actively bubble in the water.

This means, you can check even "expired" baking powder for freshness.

The "sell by" dates on the containers refer to unopened containers. If you live in a humid climate as I do, forget the sell by date. Once it's open, it will only maintain peak freshness for 4 to 6 months, even though it may still be in date....
Very good point. BTW, it applies to all expiration dates (a.k.a. "pull dates").

We only have Clabber and the store generic brand at the stores I've gone to around here. I do find we are often limited in selection around here.

Back
Top Bottom