Vanilla Sugar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboenomo

Head Chef
If I were to put sugar in an air tight container with vanilla beans, would I have to put the whole vanilla bean in? Just the seeds? Or just the pod?

How long do I keep them together before I can use it.?

What kind of ratio should I use?
1 bean --> how much sugar?

Thanks

Put the whole bean in. If it is just one bean, not much sugar--a cup maybe. Just check it and see. You can probably keep adding sugar a bit at a time until it is "used up".

I just keep a small air-tight canister with sugar and add my vanilla pods that have had the beans scraped. Whenever I use a vanilla bean, the used pod gets put into the sugar. It may take a while, but the sugar will take on a wonderful vanilla flavor. At the price of vanilla beans, I try not to let them go to waste.

Katie E said:
I just keep a small air-tight canister with sugar and add my vanilla pods that have had the beans scraped. Whenever I use a vanilla bean, the used pod gets put into the sugar. It may take a while, but the sugar will take on a wonderful vanilla flavor. At the price of vanilla beans, I try not to let them go to waste.

I second that sentiment, I do the exact same thing to make vanilla sugar and it works great!

and, to add to that, every so often, give the sugar a good stir.

(PS - you can also make your own vanilla extract by halving the beans lengthwise {carefully!}, putting them into a glass bottle {the kind that has a hinged cork works really well} and adding quality alcohol, such as vodka. {have your dad put it in, so I don't get in trouble for having you handling alcohol}. Keep it in a dark pantry and shake it every day or so and in a couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom