What are you baking this season?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
What are you baking now that the weather is cooler and the holidays are approaching? I attempted to make a chocolate biscotti recipe that we have yet to taste. We usually have eggnog cookies and ginger snaps this time of year. Would anyone like to share their baking recipes?

Last edited:
Dina, Christmas is a big family affair in Greece. So unavoidably, I will have to prepare the traditional Christopsomo (Christmas bread) and Melomakarona (Brandied Macaroons dipped in Honey Syrup). Here is the recipe for the bread. The macaroon recipe can be found under the "cookies" section.

Well, for the first time in almost a year, I have a working oven. I baked a loaf of banana bread yesterday, and it's GONE already. 5 kids and two adults that like banana bread will do that, in a hurry.

I don't know what else I'll bake, except probably at least one more pumpkin pie for Christmas dinner, and maybe another kind of pie.

I might do my usual Sour Cream Struesel Coffee Cake, as PeppA has already mentioned that. However, I have several other desserts that I'd like to try.

Alix! It's great to hear from you. I'd love to have some of your cookie recipes, if you don't mind sharing. They sound wonderful. Decorations got started at our house tonight while we listened to Christmas carols and ate the biscottis. They were actually pretty good.

Boufa,
What does your Christmas bread have? Is it a sweet or savory one? I will check your Brandied Macaroons. Thanks.

Allen,
Aren't we thankful for our working appliances, especially this time of year?! I'm sure your Sour Cream coffee cake is wonderful. Would you post the recipe when you get a chance?

My mom and I make lots of cookies and candy for the holidays and then give most of it away to friends and neighbors. Here is what we are making this year:

Chocolate fudge
Peanut brittle
Big soft ginger cookiescookies http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f43/iso-perfect-gingerbread-cookie-29321.html
Tiger Bark (Peanut butter and chocolate bark)
Fairy Drops (sugar cookie type dough that melts in your mouth topped with frosting and crushed candy cane)
Bourbon Balls
Sugar Balls (a cookie that is half red and green colored with red and green colored sugars that are mixed into the dough)
Spritz

Last edited:
I havent really planned anything yet, but more than likely will be making peanutbutter cups and not sure about the rest just yet.

My holiday baking will be banana bread, linzer bars, oatmeal cookies, citrus poppy seed cookies and spritz cookies. For Xmas dinner I'll proably do a loaf or two of bread.

Being my family cannot get through a holiday or birthday with out foccacia, I will be making or at least trying to make several of them tomorrow and put them in the freezer, then it will be on to chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies...We usually have mexican wedding cookies, but who knows if I'll have time this year..I'll try though, oh and Dh who is looking over my shoulder made a noise about chocolate crinkle cookies and fudge if you please:LOL: Sure, and I'll go paint the house too:ROFLMAO:

kadesma

Our son and his family will be with us this Christmas so I'll be making some of his favorites, which include a chocolate coconut pecan pie, flan, coconut cake and a couple of kinds of cookies. We will also have pumpkin pie, but Publix has as good as I've ever eaten, so I will get one of theirs. I suppose brownies for the kids will be needed also. I'll just send the leftovers home with them.

Well, I'll be baking to get used to my new Italian kitchen by next weekend. As well as making some strange, out of season scones for one of DH's boss and mince pies for his office (they are really multicultural and seem to be looking forward to some British thigs, where as I want to get a handle on the italian stuf, Lol). Then there are the gingerbread men for my tree and the biscuit tin. I have made a concious decision to hold backa little this year. It is just DH and I, so there is no need to bake for an army. That said, the fruitcake and Christmas pud are already made, and I think that for christmas I'll probably do a cheesecake too.

At my house..."Puh-Con" Pie, Millionaires, pralines, Delmonico Nut cake...all loaded with fresh puh-cons from my trees...maybe a few others.

Dina, I've posted links to everything except the Thimble cookies in my post. Sorry, I can't find that recipe so will have to ask Mom for it AGAIN! She laughs because I lose at least one recipe per Christmas season. Hope you enjoy our cookies, they are certainly some of our favorites.

I'm just doing three things this year.

A white chocholate peppermint candy,
fudge brownies
and white chocolate chip and dried cranberry cookies.

They'll all go out to the neighbors before we leave for Oregon.

I'm not a master of deserts so I stick to sure thing items such as the "neiman marcus cookie" best cookie I ever had in my life.

Creme Brulee (for holloween I made pumpkin CB and it was heavenly)

Vanilla cupcakes (the batter is actually better than the cupcake, but the cupcakes are not so bad)

Last night I made flourless peanut butter cookies, they were very yummy. I'm not big on peanut butter, but my hubby loves it so I made them for him.

Dina said:
We usually have eggnog cookies and ginger snaps this time of year. Would anyone like to share their baking recipes?

Ah, so many cookies to try ... so little time.

Dina, would you please post your recipe for Eggnog Cookies?

And, Alix, your cookie recipes sound incredible! I will probably try ALL of them!

I usually make either Russian Teacakes or Italian Wedding cookies (same thing, except for the shape), Tollhouse, Jam Thumbprints and at least one that I've never tried before. Like the kicked-up version of peanut butter cookies below (did I get it here?). Or this Sherry Butter Nut drops from Food TV http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_31972,00.html?rsrc=search

I Christmas-shopped and decorated the house this weekend. I'll finish wrapping during the week, then NEXT weekend is cookie time!

I might make Chex Mix (I wing the recipe every year) and Bar Nuts if I have time before Christmas.

Lee

Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup dry-roasted unsalted shelled peanuts, chopped (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until well blended. Beat in the egg, milk, and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips and peanuts.
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a ungreased baking sheet. Flatten with the tines of a fork to form a crisscross pattern. Bake 9 to 11 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
Allow to cool 1 minute on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store tightly covered.

Yield: 4 dozen.

Lee

By next week I'll start baking christmas cookies. I usually make at least 15 different types so when I give trays as gifts there is a big assortment to choose from. I end up with about a thousand cookies in the beginning, but that dwindles fast by the time I've given out the 15 cookies platter as a gift.

I always make three or four batches of strufoli, but not till christmas eve.

I make cranberry orange pudding with hard sauce for christmas morning.

Christmas eve dessert and christmas day dessert change every year.

QSis, I hope you like the recipes. I tend to only post ones that have passed muster with my very picky taste testers. Let me know which you like the best.

Back
Top Bottom