What's For Dessert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:LOL: thanks JJ! You have provided me with some yummy sounding reading material!

It is not something I keep on hand as I rarely eat desserts. Though I started eating frozen yogurt so long ago that the few times I have had regular ice cream - I honestly can't tell the difference, well, not that I ever really tried.

All this brings to mind - once in a while I was getting Limoncello - think it was by Haagen Das. Now I can''t find it anywhere. Only ever got it as a special treat for a dinner party but man!!! was it good (and expensive!)

I used to get the Haagen Dazs limoncello. Yes, expensive, yes fabulous. I haven't looked for it in a couple of years. I gave up Haagen Dazs when I found out that Nestle makes it under license in North America.

Raspberry Cheesecake

39817-albums1064-picture7507.jpg
[/IMG]

View attachment 22124

For the entire year of 2013, I had DH a regime to take off
his extra poundage (95 pounds in total after it was all said and done)
and I would make this dessert for DH to get over that hump.
I'd get different flavored light yogurts and do up a parfait
using fresh fruits and cereal (Kashi Go Lean Cinnamon Crumble)
and believe it or not, it was GOOD!
Quite satisfying really, and he still requests this for dessert :yum:
Crumbs (inappropriate exclamation in the circumstances)! That's nearly 7 stone - almost another person! Well done both of you. Did he keep it off?

I have no idea, but I boycott Nestle because of the way they get the water they bottle.
Some time ago Nestle took over the bottling and marketing of Buxton Mineral Water. Buxton is a small former spa town in Derbyshire in the foothills of the Pennines. That part of the Pennines is limestone so there's plenty of underground water. However, despite the amount of rain in that part of the world over the last hundreds of thousands of years I can't see how Nestles can possibly market as much Buxton water as it does without running the hills dry or...... (Hmm! Perhaps I won't take that thought any further as I don't want to be sued!)

Crumbs (inappropriate exclamation in the circumstances)! That's nearly 7 stone - almost another person! Well done both of you. Did he keep it off?

Yes Mad Cook, he's it off. He was determined to do it and I just assisted with the food part. He exercised about 2 hours each day.
I do say that he lost a small person off of his back, for the better. He's so much healthier. But here's the thing, during all of this, I only lost 20 pounds :mad: why is it that men can drop off weight more so than women? DNAG IT!! :glare:

I made pineapple ice cream for the first time. It's from a recipe I got on Serious Eats. Fresh pineapple puree, heavy cream, and a few other odds and ends.

Had some last night and it was delicious. However, I over mixed it and the mouth feel was compromised.

I made pineapple ice cream for the first time. It's from a recipe I got on Serious Eats. Fresh pineapple puree, heavy cream, and a few other odds and ends.

Had some last night and it was delicious. However, I over mixed it and the mouth feel was compromised.

AHA!
So that's what I have been doing wrong!!!!
I felt that the first and third batch of my Ice Cream had a grainy mouth-feel to them.
So how do I know when to stop the machine then?

AHA!
So that's what I have been doing wrong!!!!
I felt that the first and third batch of my Ice Cream had a grainy mouth-feel to them.
So how do I know when to stop the machine then?

K-Girl, my issue with this batch is a greasy feel because overmixing made butter from some of the fat in the cream.

The grainy texture is from the sugar and the freezing process. You have to be able to freeze the mixture as fast as possible to avoid the graininess. I've also found that using different sugars eliminates the grainy feel. For example, I use maple syrup for maple walnut ice cream and there is never a grainy texture.

Experimentation has led me to use a combination of corn syrup and regular sugar to get a creamy texture in vanilla.

My fave dessert is brûlée, I'm not big on desserts but my family are. I make this with free range organic eggs. I even have a blow gun to caramelise the sugar topping. I'm told by my daughters friend who has them at a French place in town, that mine are way better. When I make them I always make 1 for my daughters friend.

Russ

...I’ve never heard of chocolate stout, though, and don’t recall ever seeing it. Maybe because I wasn’t looking for it?
You mentioned elsewhere that you aren't a beer drinker. That's probably the reason you've never heard of it. ;) Stout is a type of beer, rather dark, usually leans towards the malty (sweet, smooth) side rather than hoppy (crisp, a bit bitter). One labeled "chocolate" tends to be even blacker and smoother. If you ever do make those brownies, look for a single bottle at a beverage store. Here is a list I found that might help you: The Best Chocolate Beers

You mentioned elsewhere that you aren't a beer drinker. That's probably the reason you've never heard of it. ;) Stout is a type of beer, rather dark, usually leans towards the malty (sweet, smooth) side rather than hoppy (crisp, a bit bitter). One labeled "chocolate" tends to be even blacker and smoother. If you ever do make those brownies, look for a single bottle at a beverage store. Here is a list I found that might help you: The Best Chocolate Beers
Thanks! I’ll take the list with me next time I go to Trader Joe’s or Lee’s liquor. I can just about guarantee that Smith’s doesn’t carry any of them.

TJ'S probably won't have them, JJ. They sell private label items. They might be able to suggest one of their own brews, though.
The author of the article accompanying the recipe says she prefers TJ’s Boatswain chocolate stout. They may not carry the stouts on the list you most kindly provided. I’ll probably have to go to Lee’s to find one of those. (Lee’s is the big chain discount liquor store here in Vegas. They’ve got just about everything. Including non-alcoholic items that are essential for a well stocked bar.)

Back
Top Bottom