What's For Dessert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just learned of it myself recently, Ross. I must have stumbled upon it while looking for ways to use cherries, one of my favorite fruits. :yum: I use this recipe from Serious Eats. It calls for whole milk, which I don't buy. We use 2% in our house, so if I remember, I'll swap some half-and-half for an equal measure of milk. If you're interested in the science of why Serious Eats decided on whole milk, you can find their kitchen experimenting information here: How to Make Cherry Clafoutis.... It's good as a dessert, but it's yummy as a breakfast item, too.

I just learned of it myself recently, Ross. I must have stumbled upon it while looking for ways to use cherries, one of my favorite fruits. :yum: I use this recipe from Serious Eats. It calls for whole milk, which I don't buy. We use 2% in our house, so if I remember, I'll swap some half-and-half for an equal measure of milk. If you're interested in the science of why Serious Eats decided on whole milk, you can find their kitchen experimenting information here: How to Make Cherry Clafoutis.... It's good as a dessert, but it's yummy as a breakfast item, too.
Thank you, CG... :)

I've been watching various videos of making this.. Some quite simple, some not so simple.. I believe this will be one to try..

Ross

Ross, like you I had never heard of clafoutis before. I came across this GF recipe to try for a friend. They called it a tart but I since learned the clafoutis name.
When first posted there was a slip up in the ingredients and the eggs were accidentally left out. What a slurpy - but delisious - mess. Myself and another poster finally commented on it and sure enough he corrected it with 3 eggs - LOL

I still make it but more often with a regular crust. Very yummy.

Gluten-Free Cherry Coconut Cream Tart, aka Clafoutis

I also made them into individual tarts - easier to share out.

Attachments

• DSCN4696.jpg
    DSCN4696.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN4700.jpg
    DSCN4700.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 109
I don't buy full fat milk either, because I don't like it in tea but if I'm baking I'll use full cream milk. It does make a difference.

Ross, like you I had never heard of clafoutis before. I came across this GF recipe to try for a friend. They called it a tart but I since learned the clafoutis name.
When first posted there was a slip up in the ingredients and the eggs were accidentally left out. What a slurpy - but delisious - mess. Myself and another poster finally commented on it and sure enough he corrected it with 3 eggs - LOL

I still make it but more often with a regular crust. Very yummy.

Gluten-Free Cherry Coconut Cream Tart, aka Clafoutis

I also made them into individual tarts - easier to share out.

Thank you.. :)
Those look yummy...

Ross

My repertoire of dessert dishes is as follows:

Pears in a jus of fresh and candied ginger - If you like the idea, let me know and I'll send the recipe.

Old English trifle

Crèpes Suzette

Pears in a ginger jus with a biscuit of fresh ginger

Old English Trifle

Bonet - available if you want to know what it is, and how to make it

Madeleine,

Ladies Kisses - Baci di dama

Cherry Tart

Diplomat

Zuccato

and many other other dessert recipes

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast 0scar Wilde

We had fresh peach pie like my Mom taught me how to make. First, completely bake your pie shell. Slice fresh peaches and cover them with a fruit glaze. I make it with one cup water, a scant 1/4 cup sugar, and a tablespoon of corn starch. Using a fork or slotted spoon, add the glazed peaches to the pie crust. Chill a little, then cut your piece of pie and top with fresh whipped cream. Enjoy! IMG_20180817_232537174.jpgIMG_20180818_001056006.jpg

We had fresh peach pie like my Mom taught me how to make. First, completely bake your pie shell. Slice fresh peaches and cover them with a fruit glaze. I make it with one cup water, a scant 1/4 cup sugar, and a tablespoon of corn starch. Using a fork or slotted spoon, add the glazed peaches to the pie crust. Chill a little, then cut your piece of pie and top with fresh whipped cream. Enjoy! View attachment 31078View attachment 31079
Oh yeah!!!
I happen to have a pie crust waiting to be filled.. My peaches are frozen but I've overcome that before.. ;)
This weekend, for sure.. :yum:

Ross

I made those brownies. You know, the blackberry brownies with chocolate stout...

Definitely not photogenic. But that may be my baking curse; I’m sure one of you would do better.

I used Ghirardelli’s Supreme Chocolate brownie mix, which comes with a packet of what looks like chocolate frosting. Perhaps that was my error - adding it. The end result was so chocolate that I couldn’t really taste the blackberries. And the chocolate stout seemed to just disappear; I have no idea what it added to the final result.

It’s not bad, just not quite what I expected. I’ll have to try it without the chocolate frosting packet. Very fudge-like. Not a cakey brownie at all.

Indeed! And very good-looking one as well! I’ve had qualified successes with cheesecake. My last one was a tiramisu cheesecake that was not pretty at all, but it was delicious!

Somehow, K-Girl, I think that your DH loves ALL of those things, and then some. He just whines and complains so that you'll keep making it so that he "falls in love" with those foods. He's playin' ya. :LOL:

I seemed to do pretty well with blackberry and chocolate stout brownies, so next I’ll try some salted caramel brownies. Not until after Wednesday, though. Wednesday is payday, and I can go shopping (for myself, not for others!).

You’d think I’d hate shopping after doing it seven hours a day, five days a week, but I don’t. At least not shopping for my own kitchen!

I seemed to do pretty well with blackberry and chocolate stout brownies, so next I’ll try some salted caramel brownies. Not until after Wednesday, though. Wednesday is payday, and I can go shopping (for myself, not for others!).

You’d think I’d hate shopping after doing it seven hours a day, five days a week, but I don’t. At least not shopping for my own kitchen!

I actually miss shopping for my groceries. Getting in and out of the vehicle is the big bugaboo. Everyone in the family that has a vehicle has high seats. I would have to use a stool. But with one leg, how the heck do I step up on the stool and then pivot to get in the vehicle.

I actually miss shopping for my groceries. Getting in and out of the vehicle is the big bugaboo. Everyone in the family that has a vehicle has high seats. I would have to use a stool. But with one leg, how the heck do I step up on the stool and then pivot to get in the vehicle.
Shopping is fun!. I do understand getting in and out of the car though, although I face nowhere near the obstacles you are slowly overcoming! I have very little strength in my legs, although this job is helping me to regain it. My thing is that my car is too low to the ground. After getting my legs out, it’s very difficult to straighten back up to a standing position.

I have absolute faith that you will overcome your challenge. It might mean buying a new car, but having read the chronical of your medical issues, I know that you’re a positive person who doesn’t give up. You will shop again, Addie! And those little electric supermarket carts are SO fun! Gambatte Addie. In the meantime, internet shopping can be quite fun, too, but in a different way. And most stores have delivery services (for a price, of course). The store I frequent has a delivery service and a “clicklist” service. You order your groceries on line, someone shops for and assembles your items, then you go pick them up. The former is too pricey for me ($12.00) But the clicklist is only about four bucks. Admittedly that’s pricey, too, if all you need is milk and some eggs!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom