What's For Dessert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not a dessert person. I like homemade ice cream a couple of times/year, and this:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/flora-bs-peach-cream-pie-tnt-100-years-72777.html

My Dad and I disagree on whether it is brown or white sugar. I have made this every year during peach season since I was 10. He has only made it since my Mom could no longer bake. I like my maternal Grandma's crust better the JOC. He likes JOC. Regardless, it turns out every time. It takes very little effort to prep, and is, at least for me, as much the taste of summer as corn-on-the-cob. Surprisingly, once baked and cooled, it does freeze well.

I am not a dessert person. I like homemade ice cream a couple of times/year, and this:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/flora-bs-peach-cream-pie-tnt-100-years-72777.html

My Dad and I disagree on whether it is brown or white sugar. I have made this every year during peach season since I was 10. He has only made it since my Mom could no longer bake. I like my maternal Grandma's crust better the JOC. He likes JOC. Regardless, it turns out every time. It takes very little effort to prep, and is, at least for me, as much the taste of summer as corn-on-the-cob. Surprisingly, once baked and cooled, it does freeze well.

Thank you for reviving this recipe.. I really want to make this.. :yum::)

Ross

Ross
In my family, this is the quintessential "Dog Days' of Summer" dessert. Growing up, it was our favorite breakfast in August. You can obviously use a store-bought crust. My grandma taught me how to make pie crust when I was 9, so pie crust is something I could almost do with my eyes closed. Should you make it, please share your thoughts with DC. I am biased :).

Last edited:
Made my first creme puff tonight. All from scratch. Eclairs were horrible but creme puffs and creme were awesome. :)

View attachment 35880View attachment 35881View attachment 35882View attachment 35883View attachment 35884View attachment 35885

Pics didn’t come out right. Let’s try again :)
Made another batch today also. These things are so good!

IMG_1358.jpgIMG_1359.jpgIMG_1360.jpgIMG_1361.jpgIMG_1362.jpgIMG_1363.jpg

Today’s batch I only tried creme puffs. I didn’t have the right pipe tip for eclairs so didn’t bother trying again. New to all of this. :)

IMG_1367.jpgIMG_1370.jpgIMG_1372.jpg

Ross
One of the things I learned about peaches and cheese when I was working with the catering company as a recipe editor/developer/tester was that peaches pair excellently with bleu cheese. I developed a roasted peach-bleu cheese (creamy, from Quebec) and arugula salad. I can't remember the dressing but I think it was a dark chocolate balsamic with a light EVOO. My notebooks are in storage in Ontario. Now that I am thinking of this pie, I think the next time I make it, I might add some crumbled creamy bleu cheese to the half and half to up the peach intensity...

One of the things I learned about peaches and cheese when I was working with the catering company as a recipe editor/developer/tester was that peaches pair excellently with bleu cheese. I developed a roasted peach-bleu cheese (creamy, from Quebec) and arugula salad. I can't remember the dressing but I think it was a dark chocolate balsamic with a light EVOO. My notebooks are in storage in Ontario. Now that I am thinking of this pie, I think the next time I make it, I might add some crumbled creamy bleu cheese to the half and half to up the peach intensity...

How interesting you mention this..

Many, many years ago, while at a convention in Atlanta, I had a dessert which paired peaches with bleu cheese.. I thought it wonderful but, at that time I wasn't into cooking or baking and gave it no further thought..

Ross

GimmeAnotherOne hope you are feeding a family of 15! Who is eating all those yummies you are churning out what seems like once a day if not twice?

GimmeAnotherOne hope you are feeding a family of 15! Who is eating all those yummies you are churning out what seems like once a day if not twice?

I try to feed anyone I come in contact with to get rid of all of it lol. I am new to cooking/baking so I just enjoy making the stuff. Aftermath I give a lot away or feed the family so I can make room to make the next thing smile.

I will usually cook something like breakfast/dinner and then make a dessert so yea I guess twice a day :)

Besides I get to taste things I could never could buy by me :)

Late night cake night. Magnolia style.
Whole cake gone in 1 sitting :)

615f326c62540ef25ba60c6e16e5d749.jpg
356d2676ffad13a7c9bc83b19a4dcc9f.jpg
06277219a9932e86e799a66c012b7e06.jpg
fd162f608baeeba981380a6037b8d36a.jpg
4ed9e5bff44cd28438a8dd2998403ed5.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom