Where's the chocolate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well who do we know that was in Vegas recently and likes chocolate....

jkath??? You have anything you want to SHARE!!! *and wipe off the chocolate mustache before you answer*

I am not a chocolate connoisseur like many here. I just love to bake w/ chocolate, even though I don't like to eat chocolate that much. :ermm: Go figure.

One thing that I found surprising, I recently made a chocolate mousse using nothing but melted Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate and silken tofu. This is probably the first time I have had semi-sweet chocolate in non cookie/cake form. I was really surprised that it wasn't that sweet but had a little bitterness to the taste. I thought it was pretty rich. It wasn't too strong like dark choc., but it's definitely noticeable compared to milk chocolate. I can see now why so many European desserts you see are very small delicate portions. I scooped out a small ramekin for myself and found that it was so rich I only ate about 3 spoons, then was satisfied. (Though maybe it's cuz I'm not a chocaholic):LOL:

A new thread about chocolate has started that is more dedicated to recipes here. So, if you want to post recipes, post them there, if you want to talk about God's nectar, um, I mean chocolate, here would be an acceptable place I believe... :)

BTW - I work with chocolate a lot but I do the same things (I use chocolate for chocolate/caramel covered pretzels rolled in nuts that I sell) and honestly don't know many techniques for working with chocolate. So, all you experienced chocolatiers, any tips you would like to share with us novices?

Chocolate

Now you did it.... All of you!! - I just read all these posts and found myself with KADESMA! There is something about chocolate just melting in your mouth that, well, I can't describe due to web site rules. And yes, must get each and every little morsel off those finger tips!

Now I just need to live in one of those fountians (just as in the Charle and the Chocolate Factory Movie). Now THAT my friends - Would be Heaven!

Those fountains are fun, but messy if you hold your fruit (or cookie or whatever you're dipping) at the wrong angle. We were at a wedding last fall where the bride ended up with chocolate down the front of her gown because she tried to stick her finger in the fountain to enjoy the melted chocolate! :rolleyes:

PA Baker said:
Those fountains are fun, but messy if you hold your fruit (or cookie or whatever you're dipping) at the wrong angle. We were at a wedding last fall where the bride ended up with chocolate down the front of her gown because she tried to stick her finger in the fountain to enjoy the melted chocolate! :rolleyes:

I work for an auto company at a tech center - a supplier was doing a tech expo, and I kid you not, they had a chocolate fountain, and the line was HUGE (it was also mostly women...)!

I upset everybody when I mentioned that they use vegetable oil in those things... :mellow:

John

Actually, It did peak my curiosity. I went and checked out a couple websites that were mentioned, but as of yet I haven't purchased anything, But I might.

You know I did have chocolate's made by a local place once. All homemade stuff, It was a gift and I can tell you, it didn't last long. Yummy~!:pig:

Oh and I Love white chocolate!!! but it's really the non-chocolate, huh. Still love it!!! :D

Thankyou so much guys for all the pictures and links. On Monday we will log into DC in class and look at the pics. The kids are desperate to do some chocolate cooking too so we might look at the recipes.

PA Baker said:

I was watching some show on The Food Network, probably "The Best Of", and it mentioned chocolate fountains. The host asked the chocolatier what he did if someone couldn't resist and stuck their finger into the molten chocolate. The chocolatier said he immediately turned the unit off, poured the chocolate out, and charged whoever did it for 10 lbs of chocolate, as it was now unfit for commercial service, as that person just contaminated the chocolate.

AllenMI said:
I was watching some show on The Food Network, probably "The Best Of", and it mentioned chocolate fountains. The host asked the chocolatier what he did if someone couldn't resist and stuck their finger into the molten chocolate. The chocolatier said he immediately turned the unit off, poured the chocolate out, and charged whoever did it for 10 lbs of chocolate, as it was now unfit for commercial service, as that person just contaminated the chocolate.

I would have made darn sure that I got that 10 lbs of chocolate if I was getting charged for it! Kindof silly to put your finger in it, but don't waste the chocolate!!!

Back
Top Bottom