"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-12-2008, 10:05 PM   #21
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 375
Quote:
They have this great video that plays at the Museum of Science and Industry, I forget exactly what section it is in, where it shows how a 'lemon meringue pie' is commercially produced.
We stood there and watched it for 15 minutes waiting for some sort of fruit or ingredient we recognized to be add, it never was.... just chemical mix after chemical mix.
Of course I am sure they picked the worst one they could find for the video, LOL.
As my grade 11 chemistry teacher used to say, everything is chemistry. You are made of chemicals. Fresh spring water is a chemical. Mother's milk fresh from the teat is a chemical.

I eat alot of "organic" and so-called "natural" foods like beef and fruits (as if there were such a thing as a "synthetic" cow, lol, what's that, like a robocow?) for various reasons. But I'll never get over the ignorance that gets displayed by normally intelligent people. You'd think that if it was made by nature, it just MUST be healthy. I've got some natural botulism and arsenic for you, if you want to talk about all-natural things that will kill you quicker than all the laboratory chemicals in the world.

Here's the fact: just because something is made in a laboratory, doesn't mean it's bad for you, and just because something was made by mother nature, doesn't mean it's good for you. You have no greater chance of getting cancer from whip n' chill just because it didn't grow in the ground or get excreted by an animal. The belief that the laboratory automatically imparts harmful qualities to food versus animals or plants is, frankly, equivalent to superstition. It's magical thinking, baseless in reality. Unless you have some specific evidence that this produce is harmful (which you don't), you're just talking out of ignorance and fear.

The problem I see here is the inverse of the problem in the 60's. Back then, people thought something was good because it was made in a lab. Novelty became a substitute for quality. Now we condemn anything that was made in a lab, but think anything natural is great. That's about as stupid, only in reverse. If something made in a lab is better, for whatever reason, then I'll use the lab product. If something grown in the ground is better, then I'll use that. I'll pay more for so-called "organic" beef and eggs because I think the methods those producers use is more humane, not because of some stupid knee-jerk prejudice against "chemistry" (talk about biting the hand that feeds you, considering how dependent we are on chemistry in all aspects of our lives)

It's sad that fear and propaganda has made such a self-evidently true proposition like "better living through chemistry" (and make no mistake, you ARE living better because of chemistry, no matter how you deny it) something people snicker at!

Sorry for the rant, lol. Just had to get that off my chest.
jasonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr View Post
As my grade 11 chemistry teacher used to say, everything is chemistry. You are made of chemicals. Fresh spring water is a chemical. Mother's milk fresh from the teat is a chemical.

I eat alot of "organic" and so-called "natural" foods like beef and fruits (as if there were such a thing as a "synthetic" cow, lol, what's that, like a robocow?) for various reasons. But I'll never get over the ignorance that gets displayed by normally intelligent people. You'd think that if it was made by nature, it just MUST be healthy. I've got some natural botulism and arsenic for you, if you want to talk about all-natural things that will kill you quicker than all the laboratory chemicals in the world.

Here's the fact: just because something is made in a laboratory, doesn't mean it's bad for you, and just because something was made by mother nature, doesn't mean it's good for you. You have no greater chance of getting cancer from whip n' chill just because it didn't grow in the ground or get excreted by an animal. The belief that the laboratory automatically imparts harmful qualities to food versus animals or plants is, frankly, equivalent to superstition. It's magical thinking, baseless in reality. Unless you have some specific evidence that this produce is harmful (which you don't), you're just talking out of ignorance and fear.

The problem I see here is the inverse of the problem in the 60's. Back then, people thought something was good because it was made in a lab. Novelty became a substitute for quality. Now we condemn anything that was made in a lab, but think anything natural is great. That's about as stupid, only in reverse. If something made in a lab is better, for whatever reason, then I'll use the lab product. If something grown in the ground is better, then I'll use that. I'll pay more for so-called "organic" beef and eggs because I think the methods those producers use is more humane, not because of some stupid knee-jerk prejudice against "chemistry" (talk about biting the hand that feeds you, considering how dependent we are on chemistry in all aspects of our lives)

It's sad that fear and propaganda has made such a self-evidently true proposition like "better living through chemistry" (and make no mistake, you ARE living better because of chemistry, no matter how you deny it) something people snicker at!

Sorry for the rant, lol. Just had to get that off my chest.
what he said.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #23
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: N.E., Ohio
Posts: 1,644
Yes, I just saw Dr. Oetker Whip and Chill at Cost Plus World Market.
PieSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #24
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2
Jello Whip 'n Chill

Yes, the original Jello Whip 'n Chill still exists. I have an unopened box from the late 60s-early 70s. Of course, I don't think it can be eaten. I also have Dream Whip and Royal Jello. All old. Since I'm new, I can't post a pic. Rebecca
rmclean65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #25
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: N.E., Ohio
Posts: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmclean65 View Post
Yes, the original Jello Whip 'n Chill still exists. I have an unopened box from the late 60s-early 70s. Of course, I don't think it can be eaten. I also have Dream Whip and Royal Jello. All old. Since I'm new, I can't post a pic. Rebecca
Welcome to DC Rebecca aka rmclean65. It is fun to reminisce about childhood foods.
PieSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:39 PM   #26
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2
Thank you, PieSusan.
rmclean65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:37 PM   #27
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: N.E., Ohio
Posts: 1,644
What you all are describing as whip and chill reminds me of Jello One Two Three. Are they the same thing?
PieSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:09 AM   #28
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Coast, CA, LAX
Posts: 7
Whip n Chill

I have purchased the whip n chill from the Vermont Country Store. I have made the product and served it. I divided the contents and fixed it two ways. This was OK since it was for a holiday dinner. I have one more package. I would like to divide it so that it serves a family of four several times. Right now it serves 28 or 30 for one occasion. I'm wondering if one of you folks has a package that either says the weight and or instructions on it that would give me the proportions of liquid and mix? I've already experimented with one package and got close but not the best results. With only one more bag I'm trying to maximize my success rate. I read the thread that mentioned a very old package or box that one or more of you folks have. Is it OK to share this info? Am I being to selfish and to forward asking this favor? I haven't done anything for this group as Im new. Well I hope I get a response since this thread is a bit old but to me information is timeless and valuable. Thanks for your consideration. Nellie
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:07 AM   #29
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Coast, CA, LAX
Posts: 7
Whip n Chill

I'm baaaaaack! read more of these related posts. Jell-o 123 is different than Whip n Chill. There are seperate types of layers. The classic clear jello layer is on the bottom the creamy light pudding type of layer is above the clear one and lastly is a very lite foamy but firm layer on top. I bought some Dr. Oetaker whip and tried it. The results were close to but not the same as Whip n Chill. I read the rules today and my interpretation is that information on the box could be typed out as it is not a recipe but a picture of the box might be a rule breaker. I'm going to check with an administrator soon.

On a different subject. I'm looking for a recipe for watermelon pickles that you soak overnight in some mixture of sugar vinegar alum water and cinnamon redhots. A neighbor who didn't cook alot came back from a visit up in Washington state and shared them with me and excitedly tried to tell me how she did it. I'm not a canning person so I didn't retain the info very well but the memory of tasting them has. They certainly weren't done in the usual way pickles are made some boiling and adding the rind and letting it sit either on the counter or in the frig til the next morning. WOW!
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #30
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1
I've been doing some house clean-up and came upon a 1965 Jello pamphlet called "Magical Desserts with WHip 'n Chill". I found a recipe that I'm sure my mother used to make with the Strawberry flavor, using sour cream. I used to LOVE it! But my brother told me he thought it was horrible! LOL

BTW, Nellie, I'm sure if you contact the Jello folks, they could tell you the weight of the original package so you can divide that huge package you got from Vermont Country Store. The picture in my cookbook doesn't show the weight and I don't see any reference in the recipes either.
Other than that, you could calculate using your own package, the # of oz., cups of water, and the servings it produces and figure a per-serving amount. But I suppose you've already figured that one out!

I'm going to look at the Vermont Country Store to see if they sell Strawberry. There are recipes to use it as frosting, too, by using cream instead of water. If the artificial ingredients don't get you, the cream will! But what a way to go!
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #31
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
There's a reason Whip N' Chill isn't sold any longer... It tasted like....
__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #32
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Coast, CA, LAX
Posts: 7
Thanks Freida! I was glad someone supporting this group sent me an e-mail to let me know you replied. I actually own that cooking pamphlet and your right not one photo reveals the critical inst. or box weight or size info. I already visited the Jell-o folks and they were silent on this topic. Are they embarrassed? I am looking on e-bay for an old box of WhipnChill. Wish me luck.
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #33
Head Chef
 
GrillingFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 2,223
Vermont Country Store - Apparel, Personal Care, Food, Candy and Country Home Products

$18.95 but hey.....
__________________

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #34
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Coast, CA, LAX
Posts: 7
Time flies but Jell-o doesn't support answering such questions. At least not to little 'ol me. I'm still looking for info off a package or an old ad that shows the box with weight or instructions. Oh well till then I'm still in the twilight zone. Thanks for this site.
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #35
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,803
I LOVED chocolate "Whip & Chill" as a kid, & mom would buy & make it for us as a special treat. It was what it was.

Sorry folks, but food is a personal thing. One person's "nasty" is another person's "delight". No need to trash it.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #36
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,297
so, using division won't help?
__________________

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #37
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Coast, CA, LAX
Posts: 7
Whip 'n Chill

Dear Wyogal, I like your name. Oh yes dividing worked but only if your dividing the commercial size in half. for smaller portions it's trickier and at $18.95 plus shipping it's expensive R&D (research and development). I've already experimented on one package and had one close result and three really unsuccessful results so far. I think knowing the weight from a box and the volume of liquid needed would help. So my search continues. Thanks for responding.
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #38
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Coast, CA, LAX
Posts: 7
Dear Breezy Cooking: Thanks for the sentiment! I agree. We shop Farmers Markets and eat really healthy almost all the time but for fun or a treat from nostalgia land we do enjoy ourselves.
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #39
Master Chef
 
Constance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
Oh well till then I'm still in the twilight zone.
I'm glad you could join me!
__________________
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:16 AM   #40
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Smile Thanks for remembering Whip 'n Chill....

Dear Friend, I remember Whip 'n Chill very fondly from my childhood in the 1960's. My favorite was strawberry, and it also came in chocolate and vanilla. Today it is hard to find, but you can still mail-order it from amazon.com:
JELL-O Whip 'n Chill Strawberry Mousse Mix, 15-Ounce Packages (Pack of 8): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Strawberry Whip 'n Chill, 1960's.bmp (79.1 KB, 189 views)
MariThelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.