"WHIP and CHILL" does it still exist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaandddus

Assistant Cook
HELP!!! Does anyone remember a dessert mix called "WHIP and CHILL"? If so....can you tell me how to replicate that texture for pudding or any other dessert? I'm desperate!

I wish I could help you but I am totally clueless. I have never even heard of Whip and Chill. Sorry. Hopefully someone else will have your answer. Thanks for stopping by though and please hang around with us!!

Whip ’n Chill: One of the most popular desserts of the sixties, Whip ’n Chill was a strange one, similar in texture and taste to mousse, but with a faint tang of chemical design. Its ingredient list reads like a toxic waste dump posting: propylene glycol monostearate, sodium casienate, acetylated monoglycerides, cellulose gum, hydroxylated lecithin, sodium silico aluminate and sodium stearoyl-2- lactylate. During the sixties, the artificiality of Whip ’n Chill had a novelty appeal. People still believed in the space age, and Dow Chemical Company’s motto was “Better Living Through Chemistry.” With the end of the space-age, Whip ’n Chill’s novelty was replaced with horror when people began to realize just what they had been eating.
- Taken from: www.popvoid.com/pdfs/obit.pdf

Whip n Chill

All I can remember is DreamWhip. When I see the ingredients in some of the convenience foods, it gives me the creeps...all those awful chemicals. I personally, despite the high cholesterol, would prefer whipped cream with a bit of sugar in it and skip the ready made stuff.

I do remember Whip 'n Chill. I thought it was nasty...had a "Tang" flavor to it...at least the variety my mother made....and I thought ( and still do think) Tang was incredibly horrible.
I also remember a "Magical Jello " recipe....where the dissolved mixture is beat with a mixer till it foams on top, then poured into dessert glasses, the foamy stuff coming to the top, then chilled. It was pretty.....not very good though. Whip 'n Chill, and this jello creation were desserts on the few nights a week that mother attempted to cook. We preferred the nights our father cooked, with homemade ice cream, pecan pralines, fudge, pecan "sandie" cookies, or chocolate cake for dessert.

Whip 'n Chill

I happened to be wondering about this long ago dessert today & my search brought me here. Although this is from 2002, here's what I found...visit www.fabulousfoods.com for info where you can still buy this & also a couple of recipes to copy it using Jello. It may have been loaded with junk, but I do remember us kids really liked it!! Maybe the recipes you'll find there are healthier.

claudcase

Jello Whip and Chill does exist

Go to Vermont Country store. They carry it.

Whip and Chill does still exist

Go to Vermont Country Store web site. They do carry it in 15 0z packages

Last edited:
I do remember Whip 'n Chill. I thought it was nasty...had a "Tang" flavor to it...at least the variety my mother made....and I thought ( and still do think) Tang was incredibly horrible.
I also remember a "Magical Jello " recipe....where the dissolved mixture is beat with a mixer till it foams on top, then poured into dessert glasses, the foamy stuff coming to the top, then chilled. It was pretty.....not very good though. Whip 'n Chill, and this jello creation were desserts on the few nights a week that mother attempted to cook. We preferred the nights our father cooked, with homemade ice cream, pecan pralines, fudge, pecan "sandie" cookies, or chocolate cake for dessert.
I stumbled across this thread while trying to find out when Whip 'n Chill was discontinued, I remember liking it as a child.
The Jello that separated was called Jello 1-2-3 I'm pretty sure
Dan

They have this great video that plays at the Museum of Science and Industry, I forget exactly what section it is in, where it shows how a 'lemon meringue pie' is commercially produced.
We stood there and watched it for 15 minutes waiting for some sort of fruit or ingredient we recognized to be add, it never was.... just chemical mix after chemical mix.
Of course I am sure they picked the worst one they could find for the video, LOL.

I well remember Whip N' Chill - I loved it as a kid, and so did my grandmother, who was delighted by the fact that it was so quick and easy to make for us.

The Vermont Country Store is an excellent suggestion. I would encourage any and all of you who are interested in finding fascinating and hard-to-find things from the past to sign up for both free catalogues.

If you REALLY can't find something in there for yourself or others, then a gift certificate makes a wonderful present. They do a beautiful job in packaging it, too!

Here's the link: The Vermont Country Store

As you can tell, I'm a big fan!

Treat yourself, at least to the catalogues!

Lee

I just looked up Whip 'N Chill at the Vermont Country Store. 14.95 for ONE PACKET? are they original packets from the '70's? yikes! guess they are just a packet of chemicals so they can't spoil!
Dan

I got the Vermont Country Store catalog once a long time ago, way too expensive for me to be buying from them on a regular basis, but kinda cool for novelty items.
$14.95 is pretty darn excessive.

i remember the jello thing. looked pretty and tasted ok.

can barely remember the whip and chill. just always liked whipped cream. and once in a while in a pinch , cool whip. i think it is mostly chemicals as well.

babe:LOL:

That $16.95 price at the Vermont Country Store is for a 15 ounce package that makes 28 or 33 servings. That's almost a pound of mix at a little over $1 an ounce. How many ounces in a package of jello??

Whip and Chill. Ye gads. 30 some odd years ago, I used to make it and add sliced strawberries to it. We thought we were being very avant garde. :LOL:

Point of Order:

"Better things for better living, through chemistry" was the advertizing slogan of EI du Pont de Nemours & Company, not Dow Chemical. I think Timothy Leary used it a lot, too.

HELP!!! Does anyone remember a dessert mix called "WHIP and CHILL"? If so....can you tell me how to replicate that texture for pudding or any other dessert? I'm desperate!
Yes I remember Whjp and Chill. Servered it almost every night the first year of my marriage 1965. I loved it. I wish I could fine the product today. P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom