Bakers Joy spray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
It only costs $2.24 at Walmart and works pretty well. However, after only the 3rd use, it would only dribble out a creamy colored goo. Ah well.

I came across others who said the same and one poster posted the following recipe for "pan grease." Anyone tried this for baking deserts?

"I use a substance called Pan Grease.....I just brush it in my pans on bottom and sides and haven't had any problems with sticking or breaking...."

Pan Grease

1 cup shortening
1 cup flour
3/4 cup vegetable oil

"Blend well using a mixer and put it in airtight container. Need not be refrigerated."

For greasing a pan for baking, I brush the inside of the pan with butter and then sprinkle with flour until it is all coated. Then I shake off any flour that's loose. I imagine the pan grease would work as well. I would worry about the possible taste of the fat and I would worry about it going off.

For greasing a pan for baking, I brush the inside of the pan with butter and then sprinkle with flour until it is all coated. Then I shake off any flour that's loose. I imagine the pan grease would work as well. I would worry about the possible taste of the fat and I would worry about it going off.

+1. This is what I do too. I use butter rather than oil or a spray.

Ok. I'll try and find something to store the flour in that I can shake out more evenly. I may try the vegetable spray first just for convenience sake and see how that goes.

Last edited:
I use Pam Baking Spray that has flour in it. It works great and I don't notice any flavor from it.

The first time I made a cake in my Bundt honeycomb pan using butter and flour, it turned out fine. The second time, it stuck horribly and I had to turn it into a trifle. So I bought the Pam Baking Spray and the problem is gone.

Last edited:
Some of our baking pans, muffins, etc., are kinda non-stick so the spray beads up on the surface rather than coating it evenly so I reverted to butter.

I have had that recipe for the cake pans for eons. The print is almost worn off. Time to write or type it up again.

Some of our baking pans, muffins, etc., are kinda non-stick so the spray beads up on the surface rather than coating it evenly so I reverted to butter.
My honeycomb cake pan is non-stick, too. I figure the pressure from putting the batter in smooths out the spray. In any case, it works better for me than butter and flour.

I've been using butter and flour for close to 40 years and never had a problem with it.
I'm glad it works for you [emoji2] After my honey cake stuck in the pan so badly, I didn't want to risk it happening again. It probably has something to do with the intricate pattern of the pan.
nordic-ware-honeycomb-cake-pan-review-1.jpeg

Finally found it [emoji2] And the one that broke, and the trifle I ended up making. I like it because it's easy to portion it, and of course, it uses a lot of honey. We have honey in abundance from our two hives.
0115171853_HDR.jpg0222171727a_HDR.jpg0223171024a_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad it works for you [emoji2] After my honey cake stuck in the pan so badly, I didn't want to risk it happening again. It probably has something to do with the intricate pattern of the pan.
View attachment 34639

Yeah, even if it hadn't stuck, the flour might have made the pattern less sharp, less visible on the cake. There's probably more flour using my method.

...I came across others who said the same and one poster posted the following recipe for "pan grease." Anyone tried this for baking deserts?

"I use a substance called Pan Grease.....I just brush it in my pans on bottom and sides and haven't had any problems with sticking or breaking...."

Pan Grease

1 cup shortening
1 cup flour
3/4 cup vegetable oil

"Blend well using a mixer and put it in airtight container. Need not be refrigerated."
Our own Katie H posted her blend here at DC - can't find the darned post! However, I did write it onto a post-it-note sheet and slapped it on the door of my pantry. It uses equal parts shortening (Crisco or such), cooking oil (Mazola, etc), and flour. I don't bake cakes often, however, so I never bothered making a batch. However, Katie says it works, and Katie knows her stuff. ;)

Back
Top Bottom