Banana Panacotta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I know, this is the area for brownies and such. But there just wasn't a place for panacotta. In fact, there is no place for puddings, custards, or gelatin deserts.

I'm making some of my dragon-fire chili tonight for a couple of young men missionaries from out church. This chili isn't for ordinary mortals, and was by request. I'm talking 4 ghost peppers, 4 habenaros, 6 cayenne peppers, 5 Japones, with crushed red pepper and enough chili powder, and cumin to make it taste like chili. These guys requested it. There is also two pounds for browned ground beef, one chopped onion, cilantro, 1 can dark red kidney beans, 2 cups cooked pinto beans, and a large can of diced tomato. I tasted it of course, added a little salt and it's stewing in the slow cooker as I type.

I'm thinking that thought they asked for this really hot chili, they will need something to douse the flame, and a glass of milk just isn't going to do it. Sooo, a very cold, close to freezing, panacotta, made from 2 cups of milk, three very ripe bananas, two tsp. vanilla extract, two packets of Knox unflavored gelatin, and a half-tsp. of mace should do the trick. It will set up all nice and custardy, with the benefits of milk, and the thermal mass of the custard. The two sensations should cool the fire. I just need to figure out whether to serve the panacotta with the meal, or for desert.

Whadaya think, will the panacotta cool the fire. At the very least, it tastes incredible, all silky smooth, with a potent banana flavor. Me, I'm looking forward to supper. Our guests are too. I wonder how they will feel after eating Chili that's hot, even for me.:ohmy: i'm thinking they'll look something like this - :furious:, but without the frowns. Me, I'll be looking like this - :LOL:. You need to know, they've been warned.

Just so's ya knows, after making this chili, all the snow is finally gone from around here.:ohmy:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I think it sounds like a great idea for cooling the palate. Whether they'll be able to taste the banana after their tongues are burned off is another question! :LOL:

Just teasing ;) I bet they'll love it.

I think it sounds like a great idea for cooling the palate. Whether they'll be able to taste the banana after their tongues are burned off is another question! :LOL:

Just teasing ;) I bet they'll love it.

Report: These strapping young men dug into the chili slowly, tentatively. I think somebody warned them. One of the two nearly finished his bowl. The other, well he got a third of the way through it. I had two bowls full of the chili. And my first aid kit (that's what I called the panacotta) tasted great, but really didn't help kill the burn (for those whose tongues, lips, gums and palettes burned:LOL:). Just a few minutes ago, I had some more, and just for grins, ate a spoonful of ranch dressing afterwards. That got rid of the residual heat better than anything I've used in the past. It tends to coat the tongue with milk proteins, and the starch and oils make it stick longer. I'm thinking creamy things would work better. I would think puddings and deserts thickened with dairy and egg yolk might do the trick as well. The gelatin, in the panacotta, though very smooth, just doesn't adhere to the mouth surfaces enough.

So, next time you're going to be eating something that might be hotter than you are used to, have some creamy pudding or ice cream standing by, or even a bowl full of ranch dressing.:LOL:

Anyway, if you haven't yet made a panacotta, do it. You can flavor it any way you like. You could use pureed berries, or cherries, chocolate (been there-done that-loved it), the original flavor - vanilla and sugar, probably even a butterscotch flavor, sweetened with stevia, or sugar if you prefer.

The stuff is very tasty and satisfying.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom