"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Beaver Club Chocolate Mousse

In the '80s. I worked as a tour guide. I spent a lot of time in Montreal. We stayed at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel and ate at The Beaver Club (closed in 2014). There were two things I loved. One was the banana bread, the other was the chocolate mousse. (The banana bread recipe is available on the Internet, but it is not the one the Chef gave me....). Anyhow, on my last visit, I woke up to find two recipes under my door. One was for the banana bread, the other was this one. This is a recipe I used to make every Christmas before my brother died. I haven't made it since, but am thinking I might...

Ingredients

3 egg yolks
1 egg
1/3 c fine sugar
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1 oz. bitter chocolate
1-1/2 T dissolved gelatin
2 c + 2-1/2 T whipped cream
2 T chocolate flakes
2 T icing sugar
4 almond paste macaroons
1/2 oz dark rum, brandy, coffee liqueur

Directions:

1. Combine egg yolks, egg, and sugar. Beat until lemony yellow and fluffy.
2. Melt bittersweet and bitter chocolate over hot water in a double-boiler. Combine with dissolved gelatin. Add to egg mixture.
3. Fold whipped cream into eggs and chocolate.
4. Spread 1/2 in the bottom of a glass bowl.
5. Top with crushed macaroons. Drizzle rum on top.
6. Top with remaining mousse. Chill at least 2 hours. Sprinkle with chocolate flakes and icing sugar.

Note: This recipe was given to me in French. I have done my best to translate it so it makes sense. I used coconut macaroons when I would make this. I used to take regular white sugar and grind it in a coffee grinder to make it fine. Not sure what fine sugar is.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:28 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

If want to know the difference between the Beaver Club banana recipes on the Internet and the one the Chef gave me, just ask.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:26 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Copied and saved. I don't think you are infringing on anything - Chef gave it to you. My sister also got a couple of recipes from the Chef at the Beaver Club. But al bit earlier (late 60's early 70's) same chef? who knows.

hmmm Chocolate Mousse do I need an excuse? So many yummy recipes lately!

Tags
chocolate, recipe, rum, whipped cream

Beaver Club Chocolate Mousse In the '80s. I worked as a tour guide. I spent a lot of time in Montreal. We stayed at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel and ate at The Beaver Club (closed in 2014). There were two things I loved. One was the banana bread, the other was the chocolate mousse. (The banana bread recipe is available on the Internet, but it is not the one the Chef gave me....). Anyhow, on my last visit, I woke up to find two recipes under my door. One was for the banana bread, the other was this one. This is a recipe I used to make every Christmas before my brother died. I haven't made it since, but am thinking I might... Ingredients 3 egg yolks 1 egg 1/3 c fine sugar 3 oz. bittersweet chocolate 1 oz. bitter chocolate 1-1/2 T dissolved gelatin 2 c + 2-1/2 T whipped cream 2 T chocolate flakes 2 T icing sugar 4 almond paste macaroons 1/2 oz dark rum, brandy, coffee liqueur Directions: 1. Combine egg yolks, egg, and sugar. Beat until lemony yellow and fluffy. 2. Melt bittersweet and bitter chocolate over hot water in a double-boiler. Combine with dissolved gelatin. Add to egg mixture. 3. Fold whipped cream into eggs and chocolate. 4. Spread 1/2 in the bottom of a glass bowl. 5. Top with crushed macaroons. Drizzle rum on top. 6. Top with remaining mousse. Chill at least 2 hours. Sprinkle with chocolate flakes and icing sugar. Note: This recipe was given to me in French. I have done my best to translate it so it makes sense. I used coconut macaroons when I would make this. I used to take regular white sugar and grind it in a coffee grinder to make it fine. Not sure what fine sugar is. 3 stars 1 reviews