Can fat-free half and half be used in fondue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
Firstly I realize that fondue is not a "brownie" or "dessert bar" but I really did not see any forum that mentioned something like fondue. So here goes.

I recently got a fondue set from Williams-Sonoma and it included a canister of chocolate to actually make fondue. On the ingredients, it lists the chocolate (provided) and says 1 cup heavy cream. I was just wondering... would using fat-free half-and-half be completely disastrous in this application? Or would it still be good but just less ... delicious? I suspected that maybe the fat in the cream is necessary with something to do with the chocolate, but I wasn't really too sure.

So should I definitely follow the instructions and use heavy cream or can I lighten it a little and use fat-free half and half?

Thanks

I'd stick with the heavy cream. Think of it as a special treat you don't enjoy every day.

Real half and half can't take heating without breaking. I have no idea what would happen with the fake stuff.

many fat free dairy items are thickened with gelatin and do not hold up to heat...they separate.

Alright, thanks. I ended up making it with full fat heavy cream. It was so good!

next time, give it a shot with regular milk. i've used it in a pinch for ganache with no problems. ;)

Back
Top Bottom