Caramelitas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redkitty

Executive Chef
I have to share one of my most favorite dessert recipes ever! I wrote this recipe down about 13ish years ago but cant remember where it came from! I still have it on the same piece of blue paper, all sticky from using it over the years! I hope someone here eventually makes them and shares this again and again! Enjoy!! :-p

CARAMELITA’S

36 caramels
1/4 cup milk (I use lowfat)
1 cup oatmeal
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
3/4 cup melted butter
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi-sweet (plain) chocolate chips

In microwave, melt caramels in milk, stir until blended, cool slightly

Combine all other ingredients EXCEPT chocolate chips

Press 1/2 of the crumb mixture into the bottom of a greased 11 x 7 or 9 inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the chockie chips and spread the melted caramel mixture over the top (do not go over edges)

Crumble the remaining topping mixture over all. Bake at 350 degrees for an additional 15-20 minutes until top is brown. Cool slightly then refrigerate for 1-2 hours before cutting into small bars.

I love to eat them all gooey and warm too! :)

those sounds very yummy indeed! Don't you love those recipes you wrote down on a stray piece of paper and you still have!?!?! And throwing it away would be like throwing away years of remembrance glancing at the measurments, recalling what you were doing, how your life was, who was there, who you were making the treat for... yeah, so I'm a little sentimental, so! :angel: My great grandmother had given me a recipe for oatmeal cookies, and I placed the recipe in an antique frame. Very precious memory for me.

I discovered oatmeal carmelitas at Whole Foods a few years ago and after I devoured 4 squares (at an outrageous $4.99 per package) I went home and researched the recipe (I use the same one as redkitty's recipe). Whenever I make these, I get RAVES. These are wonderful.

ps - In addition to the chocolate chips, I sprinke on 1 cup of chopped pecans also.

oh yummy! These sound just right for a late night snack with a cup of tea. Thank you!

Hey StirBlue, Ive only used Kraft Caramels for this recipe. Other Caramelita recipes call for the caramel topping you have. Guess its worth a try!!

StirBlue said:
I have some leftover caramel ice cream topping. Do you think that would be okay for the caramels?

I used caramel ice cream topping before when I couldn't find the Kraft caramels. Its OK to use, the Kraft caramels make it taste a little different but its almost impossible to tell the difference.

Now that I posted this I'm craving a caramelita! I'm gonna have to make a batch soon, except I cant find any caramels here!

I love Oatmeal Caramelitas! I have made them for years, as well. Unfortunately, only one other member of my family likes caramel. So when I do make them, I will be too tempted to eat too many.

I'm so excited! We just found Kraft Caramels on ebay, so I can make my Caramelita's!!! I haven't made them for a year!!! I'm so happy!!!

Back
Top Bottom