Coffee Brownies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
These sound great! The hard part will be getting PeppA to eat them, as she abhors coffee.

Coffee Brownies
Yields: 15 brownies

1 c (140g) Flour
½ t Baking Powder
¼ t Salt
6 T Instant Coffee, flavored types are great
1/3 c (80ml) Water
1 c (200g) Sugar
½ c (115g) Butter or Margarine, cut into pieces
1 c (225ml) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
3 Eggs

Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Lightly grease 9x13” (23x30cm) baking dish. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl. Combine instant coffee and water in medium saucepan; stir until coffee is dissolved. Add granulated sugar and butter to the coffee mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in morsels until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Make a well in the dry mixture. Pour the coffee/chocolate mixture into the well and mix the dry and wet ingredients until batter is smooth. Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for 18 – 20 minutes (until wooden pick inserted
in center comes out clean) at 350ºF (180ºC). Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Decadent if served with ice cream and a little chocolate syrup.

Allen.. if she's not willing to eat them I'd be glad to help you out.
Coffee and chocolate. It just can't be bad. :)

Not that it happens often in our house...but what about leftover coffee? Think that would work? Just sub for the amount of water?

Alix, yes, that would work. Since my coffee decanter was broken about a month ago, I've been using instant. I've always kept some instant around, for emergencies, and the oddball recipes that call for it.

You can really have some fun with the stuff. Use it for coffee-flavored ice cream, and the resulting product shouldn't have an off texture. You can also use it in a sauce/stew recipe, and not have to use less stock/broth.

Get out. In a sauce or stew? I would never have thought of that. Hey Allen, you should start a thread about ways to use coffee, I would love to learn more. (Oh, and BTW, I will be trying these brownies out when my turkey lethargy has worn off.)

Back
Top Bottom