How many eggs for cakey vs. fudgy brownies??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miandoria

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask what may be a silly question to you all... but I have been reading alot of brownie recipes on here, since I am still on a quest for a really good homemade fudgy recipe, NOT cakey, and here is the dilemma.
I have never really had much problems with the box mixes (although I do change the ingredient amounts to my own variation), I just want to make my own. I have always been disappointed with the results of what I have tried in the past.
Most recipes on here seem to call for more eggs for fudgier brownies and less for cakier and it is just the opposite for box mixes... so before I try any more of the scratch ones, does anyone have a reason why the egg amount would be opposite?

Oh well!

I guess everyone's in the same boat! lol! It's just a trial and error thing I suppose.

Baking is not my strong suite, but it is late so give the post some time. I am betting by this time tomorrow you will have more than a few replies, there are some real talented bakers on here but I think they are all asleep right now!
Don't bakers have to 'rise' early in the morning? Ok, bad joke...

try this recipe for a sublime brownie

Whole Wheat Brownies

3/4 cup cocoa ( I buy my cocoa from Penzey's, nice stuff)
3/4 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 to 4 eggs (the more eggs, the more cake like, 2 eggs makes chewy ones)
1/2 t. salt
2 t. vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour (I use either hard or soft ww flour)

Preheat oven to 350*F

Melt butter and stir in cocoa. In a bowl mix together sugar salt flour. Add butter/cocoa. Stir in eggs and vanilla. Mix until all ingredients are blended. Pour into greased 9 inch cake pan. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the sides of the brownie just start to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool, then cut. I freeze the cut squares as soon as cool. That keeps them out of sight. Dh does not eat sweets, only me
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom