ISO Filipino coconut dessert bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Ironchef, that looks like biko (a different kind of rice cake) to me because of the consistently dark topping (brown sugar & coconut) and the texture of the filling which looks like dense sticky rice.

Here's a close-up picture of a cassava cake slice. Cassava cakes normally have yellowish toppings with brown spots (which is scorched coconut milk & condensed milk).

What with so many different kinds of rice cakes, it could be that the term 'Bibingka' is being used as a convenient generic term by Filipino immigrants and their descendants to refer to any rice cake. Within the Philippines however, people normally call each dessert by its correct name. So there's pichi-pichi, maja-blanca, sapin-sapin, biko, puto-bumbong, palitaw, kutsinta, puto, cassava cake and bibingka (the thick pancake kind). The generic term for all these desserts is 'Kakanin' and not Bibingka.

Dina, there are many Cassava cake recipes on Google. I hope you find what you are looking for.

So with Bibingka, different Filipinos have their own version.

Hey Emmisme, have you ever heard of or seen a spongy version of bibinka? Not me! There's nothing in my recipe that would cause it to rise. No holes in mine.

Jaye

Dina said:
I have no clue about the name of this dessert but it's a coconut, chewy dessert bar which may contain cornstarch. Any Philipino food experts out there that would like to share this recipe with me?
Dina,

I think the dessert you are looking for is the yummy Singaporean/Malaysian called Kueh Bengka Ubi (Baked Tapioca Cake). It happens to be one of my favourite desserts and is made up of tapioca, coconut and eggs. The grated tapioca in it gives it a chewy texture. But alas, I can't make it now because where I live, there is no fresh tapioca to be had!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom