ISO Matrimonial bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tancowgirl2000

Head Chef
Im looking for a recipe for a bar thats.....um...Matomo....matamata matas....dang....Ill get it hang on

Matrimonial Cake...hah!! The internet is a great thing.

I want the old time one that grandma used to make. Not a newer version...any ideas?

Is that the one with the shortbready/oatmeal bottom, the date filling then the stuff on top? I have a recipe here somewhere if thats what you're looking for.

Give me a minute. I'll find it for you. Its on a crappy old recipe card somewhere upstairs.

OK, this is a bit sketchy. Hopefully someone will fill in the blanks.

1 1/2 cups oats
3/4 cup margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking soda

date filling

Mix dry ingredients together until crumbly. (I just use my hands) Pack about 2/3 in the bottom of a 9x9 pan and pat down. Spread date filling on top then sprinkle final 1/3 of dry mixture on top. Press gently. Bake at 350 for 12 - 15 minutes or until golden.

OK so the date filling piece is the part I can't help you with. Its been about a million years since I made this recipe with date filling. I usually make it with the leftover cranberry sauce after a turkey dinner. Anyone out there got help for Tanis?

Date filling

1/2 lb of dates chopped up
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup water

Put on the stove and simmer til dates are smooshy. DON'T let them boil dry! You can add more or less dates as you wish to make as much filling as you like.

Tanis ! Welcome back !!!! :) :) :)

Are these Date Bars really good? About how many do they make? Enough for a Potluck??
Marge

You have a lot of catching up to do..when did you leave us?? I know it has been quite awhile.

9x9 pan Dove, but its easily doubled or trebled if you need to. You could make one pan with date filling and another with cranberry filling to be different.

Oh Dove!!! I left so long ago!!! It was last fall sometime...maybe...nope way before that...in the spring! I'm sorry to hear about lifes turns your getting, but I KNOW your strong and will conquer them!

These bas are absolutely to die for. They have such an addictive taste! You must try them....I probably cant make them like my grandma but you know...my kids wont be able to know the difference!

tancowgirl2000 said:
Im looking for a recipe for a bar thats.....um...Matomo....matamata matas....dang....Ill get it hang on

Matrimonial Cake...hah!! The internet is a great thing.

I want the old time one that grandma used to make. Not a newer version...any ideas?
I know you've gotten a response, but here's a link that says it's an old-fashioned version of what you're looking for: Recipe: Matrimonial Cake.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom