Knock You Naked Brownies (from The Pioneer Woman)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Who Cooks

Executive Chef
Knock You Naked Brownies

Ingredients

• 1 box (18.5 Ounce) German Chocolate Cake Mix (I Used Duncan Hines)
  • 1 cup Finely Chopped Pecans
  • 1/3 cup Evaporated Milk
  • 1/2 cup Evaporated Milk (additional)
  • 1/2 cup Butter, Melted
  • 60 whole Caramels, Unwrapped
  • 1/3 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
  • 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, chopped pecans, 1/3 cup evaporated milk, and melted butter. Stir together until totally combined. Mixture will be very thick.
Press half the mixture into a well-greased 9 x 9 inch square baking pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven and set aside.
In a double boiler...

I can't quote the entire recipe due to copyright concerns:

Knock You Naked Brownies (full recipe)

There isn't a chance in hell that I'm going to cook this recipe, because I doubt I could resist eating the whole thing in one day!

But really, this woman has a great way with words, and a great blog!

Comments? :D

Not sure if you guys are aware of it, but there's all sorts of buzz on many different internet sites about The Pioneer Woman plagiarizing recipes. This brownies recipe in particular appears to have been lifted out of a cookbook from Ree Drummond's home town of Bartlesville. The Marlboro Woman website has photos and more info. As for her cookbook, those recipes for the most part have been lifted and no sources were credited. Very bad form in my opinion.

Not sure if you guys are aware of it, but there's all sorts of buzz on many different internet sites about The Pioneer Woman plagiarizing recipes. This brownies recipe in particular appears to have been lifted out of a cookbook from Ree Drummond's home town of Bartlesville. The Marlboro Woman website has photos and more info. As for her cookbook, those recipes for the most part have been lifted and no sources were credited. Very bad form in my opinion.

I would have to do my own investigation. Compare ISBN numbers, date of first printing, and look at the recipes in both books. Plagerism laws have a lot of rules. Like you said, "there is all sorts of buzz..." :ermm:

On the Internet buzz just means someone posted something somewhere. The truth may be vastly different.

No, not aware of that. I presume you mean Pioneer Woman rewrote the recipes in her own words so it's not blatant copyright infringement.

I'll admit some of my admiration comes from the inventiveness I perceive. If she just got the ideas from other sites and cookbooks and rewrote them in her own words, then she's still got a way with words but evidently not the greatest creativity.

If true, sorry to hear that.

"The Marlboro Woman" appears to be an "I Hate Pioneer Woman" site. http://the marlboro woman.com/ (remove spaces to get valid link)

I can only wonder about somebody who spends that amount of time and effort on hating one person.

Last edited:
What a hateful website. It says a lot about somebody that would buy a domain name, and pay for hosting to produce a website tearing down someone because of their success.

Are any recipes truly original? Most are just variations on basic recipes. I can find many recipes that are very similar to each other, but wouldn't necessarily call them rip offs.

I like the pioneer woman, I like her writing style and have tried a few of her recipes and enjoyed them.

The real story would be if she was posting a modest, humble country lifestyle while living the quite comfortable life that she is. Her website shows it all, her nice home, their nice "lodge" complete with dream kitchen and her expensive SUV.

Last edited:
LOL I've yet to see a truly "new" recipe from anyone. Ever. There are a limited number of ingredients. All any "chef" can ever offer is a new way to combine them.

I don't get the hate and disdain. If you don't like what a blogger has to offer, don't visit their site. She's obviously doing something that resonates with people though, so more power to her.

PW has never claimed to "create" recipes, she shares how she cooks things for her family. Tweaking recipes and calling them your own ... is what cooking is all about. No one would ever really have the balls to call Julia Child a bad chef ~ yet all she ever really did was translate French home-style cooking to English and make it more accessible. She didn't create anything except for maybe some new enthusiasm for cooking. (And bless her for doing so!)

So I went to the site. This woman has nothing better to do with her life than to try and destroy another person? Is this how she spends her days? Does she really think she can get a following with so much hate? :ohmy:

In the end you can post any recipe you like as long as you describe it in your own words. Ingredient lists cannot be copyrighted, the text used in descriptions (methods) are generally copyrighted by default. (The author need not take any particular steps to post a copyright notice but it's good practice to do so.) If you rewrite the text of the description/method in your own words then you have not violated any copyright. (In fact you yourself own the copyright to your version of the text.)

It's intellectually dishonest to represent the work of another person as your own (plagiarism) but that is not a crime, and as long as you don't use the text then it isn't copyright infringement either. I have no idea if Pioneer Woman has done this, but I'll be surprised if she has infringed anybody's copyrights. Her site is too big and involved that any reasonable person would take that risk.

I'll continue to enjoy her site. If some day she shows up in the news as the recipient of a lawsuit then I may change my opinion.

It continues to amaze me that people can copyright recipes. Aren't we supposed to use them? Tell our friends about good ones?

I almost never make things exactly according to a recipe anyway. I look at the ingredient list and usually make changes, either according to availability or I may think another ingredient would taste better.

It continues to amaze me that people can copyright recipes. Aren't we supposed to use them? Tell our friends about good ones?

What would you say to cookbook authors? I presume being paid for their work is the motivating factor for most cookbooks written. Without copyright laws somebody could just post all the recipes on the Internet and nobody would need the book. Nobody would write any cookbooks and the only kind of recipes we'd have would be posted on the Internet by hobbyists. We need to encourage authors to publish their works and copyrights are our assurance to creators that they will be fairly rewarded for their past works and will encouraged to create new works.

I think we have plenty of ways to share recipes and still satisfy copyright laws. The best way is to share links to recipe websites. If the source is a printed cookbook you have to go to extra work and rewrite the recipe in your own words. It's still a good idea to give the original author credit.

"The Marlboro Woman" appears to be an "I Hate Pioneer Woman" site. http://the marlboro woman.com/ (remove spaces to get valid link)

I can only wonder about somebody who spends that amount of time and effort on hating one person.

Well, what a hateful website :ohmy: That marlboro woman is consumed with hatred and more then likely.. jealousy :ermm:

Well, what a hateful website :ohmy: That marlboro woman is consumed with hatred and more then likely.. jealousy :ermm:

Can you imagine spending the day with her and trying to pretend being her friend? I might last through her first diatribe. And then I would let loose. :ohmy:

I'm fascinated by PW's naming of the recipe, "Knock You Naked Brownies."

That's pure genius!

Maybe PW is talented in finding recipes and testing them, documenting them in an interesting way and then blogging them.

That's a talent!

I'd feel great if I could accomplish even 1/100 of what she does. I'll wait until the lawsuit before I have anything negative to say about PW, and I'll be surprised if that day ever comes.

I just googled another PW recipe that I recently posted on this forum, "Crash Hot Potatoes." (google link) What did PW do wrong? She documented her own vision of Crash Hot Potatoes. She didn't steal it from anybody unless she copied their words. I didn't see any claim that she invented the recipe.

I'm sorry you made this your debut post. You would have been better served to have posted something positive.

Last edited:
Can you imagine spending the day with her and trying to pretend being her friend? I might last through her first diatribe. And then I would let loose. :ohmy:

And she showed up to the PW's home with lice/ or she had her kids and they had lice, lice was involved somehow! :ermm:

I read tidbits of the articles and I just can't imagine why anyone would devote all their time to bash on someone else. It's very obsessive.

I will continue being a fan of PW, I like her humor and recipes that she posts. :)

Last edited:
PW "the Best Lasagna Ever" is pretty awesome, it's my go-to lasagna. I have upgraded the sausage and parmesan, but it is really easy and the best I've ever made.

I don't think that she claimed to invent the recipe....

I like that this topic veered from Knock You Dead Brownies to a discussion about PW. I think if you like the brownies you'll cook it, or not. I think the topic has become far more interesting about PW and her blog, and I think some of us have learned an interesting perspective on her recipes and upon blogging recipes, and blogging style. And unfortunately, upon people who have envy issues.

Meanwhile I invented the steak recipe! You cut off part of a cow and grill it! :D

Meanwhile I invented the steak recipe! You cut off part of a cow and grill it! :D

:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

and back to the brownies.. they look great and I will try them although I don't bake much (if I bake it I eat it and I usually prefer to put my calories into all the breads/ pastas I adore) :pig:

Back
Top Bottom