Ms. Mofet's TNT Mocha Brownies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Since I first started making these I have reduced the amount of sugar in the recipe. The original amounts are in the parenthesis. Everyone loves the original but I wanted to make a less sweet version.

Ms. Mofet's TNT Mocha Brownies

• 4 squares (1 oz. each) unsweetened bakers chocolate
  • 2/3 cup butter flavored shortening
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar (reduced - I originally used 2 cups)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 TBSP Instant coffee powder - or to taste
  • 1 cup chopped nuts(optional)

(Glossy mocha frosting recipe below)

1. Heat oven to 350°F.
  2. Grease and dust a 13x9x2 pan with cocoa powder instead of flour so you don't have white sides or spray with Baker's Joy vegetable oil & flour cooking spray.
  3. Heat chocolate and shortening in large microwave safe glass bowl, microwave on high 1 minute at a time, stirring it after each minute, just till melted (be sure not to over heat* ).
  4. Stir in sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix in remaining ingredients.
  5. Spread in pan.
  6. Bake until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. About 30 minutes (or to 180°F DO NOT over bake), cool slightly (about 5 minutes); spread with frosting (recipe below).
  7. Cool completely in pan; cut into bars.

Glossy mocha frosting:

• 3 squares (1 oz. each) unsweetened bakers chocolate
  • 3 TBSP butter flavored Shortening
  • 1 cup powdered (confectioners superfine) sugar (reduced - I originally used 2 cups)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 - 2 TBSP Instant coffee powder - or to taste
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts(optional)

1. Heat chocolate and shortening in large microwave safe glass bowl, microwave on high 1 minute at a time, stirring it after each minute, just till melted (be sure not to over heat*).
  2. Stir in powdered sugar, instant coffee powder, salt, milk and vanilla; beat with hand mixer until smooth.
  3. Place bowl of frosting in larger bowl of ice and water; continue beating until smooth and of spreading consistency.
  4. Stir in nuts or sprinkle on top.

*Note: Be sure not to over heat or it will scorch and taste bitter. Or the oils will separate and break the chocolate.

Cooling in pan

img_1347187_0_6d6fdd05e69ec16f47804091fae3e8e5.jpg

Cut

img_1347187_1_8e6f458136d9bc1c924cea9efdf21a53.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom