Pecan pie bars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chilichip

Senior Cook
Now try not to laugh to hard ,but I need to ask. I can turn a pecan pie into a pecan bars right . using a pie crust .I'm having a mental block here , I need more coffee.

Do you mean layers of crust and filling baked in a pan then cut into bars?

Thinking about the texture of a cooked pie, the filling would be kind of sticky but should hold together.

If you make the bottom a shortbread type crust the bars will work better. Use 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 2 cups flour. Blend this together with your hands and pat it into the bottom of a 9x9 pan. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 and then pour the filling in and bake as normal.

Here's a recipe I use for Pecan Pie Bars:

8 OUNCE CREAM CHEESE
2 STICKS MARGARINE
2 CUPS FLOUR
MIX TOGETHER FOR THE CRUST

FILLING:
1 1/2 CUPS BROWN SUGAR
2 CUPS GROUND PECANS
2 EGGS
2 TABLESPOONS MELTED MARGARINE
2 TEASPOONS VANILLA
BAKE 30 MINUTES AT 350

Try this one and let me know what you think:

Pecan Pie-Bars

½ cup butter
1¼ cups sifted flour
¼ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup light or dark corn syrup
2 tablespoons flour
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon salt
½ to 1 cup chopped pecans

To make crust, cut butter with 1¼ cups flour and sugar until particles are fine like cornmeal. Press into bottom of ungreased 9" square pan. Bake in moderate (350 degree) oven for 15 minutes.

Combine remaining ingredients in mixing bowl, beating until well blended. Pour over partially baked crust in pan.

Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack. Cut in 1½" squares. Makes 3 dozen.

Variation:

Chocolate Pecan Pie-Bars:
Make like Pecan Pie-Bars, but in filling use light corn syrup and add two 1-ounce envelopes no-melt unsweetened chocolate, or two squares unsweetened chocolate, melted. Bake 35 minutes after pouring filling into crust.

I have no idea what "no-melt unsweetened chocolate" is, but I suspect it's baking chocolate that comes in a liquid form so you don't have to melt it.

Back
Top Bottom