Peter Pumpkin Bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bakechef

Executive Chef
This recipe is from my mom's church cookbook, they were submitted by my grandmother's neighbor. The name of the recipe was "Peter Pumkin Bars" so that's how we always referred to them. My mom made these every year in the fall. This is the original recipe only calling for cinnamon as the spice, but feel free to spice them up a bit if that's your thing! Like any baked good with spices, these will taste best the next day, when the flavors have a chance to meld. I topped with walnuts because that's how my mom always did it and for me this is a must! Hope you enjoy!

SG1L0309.JPG

Pumpkin Bars

From Bakingbetter.com

1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix!
¾ cup vegetable oil
1 2/3 cups light brown sugar, lightly packed
4 eggs
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 ½ cups rolled oats or quick oats (not instant)
1 tablespoon cinnamon*
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 cake pan by spraying with no-stick cooking spray.

In a bowl, mix together pumpkin, vegetable oil, brown sugar, and eggs, stir to mix well.

In a sifter or whisked together in a bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon (or spice mix), baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Add the flour mixture all at once to the pumpkin mixture and stir just to combine, a few small lumps are OK. Stir in oats and stir to combine. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until it tests done. Let cool completely.

*for a spicier bar, use 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice. You and also make your own spice blend (cloves, ginger, nutmeg etc…) to equal roughly 1 tablespoon.

Cream cheese icing

4 oz. (½ a bar) room temperature cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup (½ a stick) room temperature butter
2 cups powdered confectioners sugar

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth, spread over cooled bars.

Last edited:
I need to give these a try!

I have not seen a recipe for pumpkin bars that contained oatmeal, sounds good.

I think a streusel topping might work on these for a brunch treat.

I am so happy that the eating/baking season has begun! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome!

For me the oatmeal makes them special. They are just a childhood comfort food.

I bet struesel with lots of cinnamon and brown sugar would be great! The batter is thick enough to support a struesel without it sinking.

I put most of them in the freezer so I wouldn't keep eating them. Well that plan isn't working so well, they only take 10 seconds to thaw in the microwave...

Last edited:
Grandson , loves pumpkin so will be making these for him and the rest for a treat. Thanks for sharing.
kades

Pumpkin bars sound wonderful. Something about when the weather gets cooler, I crave things made with pumpkin. Must be a childhood thing! Thanks.

My neighbor surprised me yesterday with some home-made vegetable soup, which was delicious. I'm thinking these pumpkin bars will be the perfect thank-you for them, a lovely couple of retirees from Michigan. Thanks for the recipe.

Thank you again. 4 thumbs up from everyone!! We took the advise and added lots of extra spice to the cake (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice) and some spice to the frosting also.

img_1189347_0_9baf29d3b880ec78f06a074cafe41eef.jpg

My neighbor surprised me yesterday with some home-made vegetable soup, which was delicious. I'm thinking these pumpkin bars will be the perfect thank-you for them, a lovely couple of retirees from Michigan. Thanks for the recipe.

What a lovely gesture. :angel:

Yes, my neighbors did love them, and no wonder. Those are really, really good. Not overwhelmingly sweet, and some walnuts sprinkled on top added that welcome crunch. Nice recipe!

That looks flippen fabulous!!! Can't bake so I best get someone to bake it for me on my birthday lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
They are so moist that I want to eat it with a fork. YUM

Back
Top Bottom