Scottish 'Tablet' - a fudge-like sweet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
TABLET

Here is my family recipe for Scottish TABLET. (the closest description I can give is similar to an English fudge)

Use a heavy based saucepan.

2 lb of sugar - granulated and cane sugar, not beet, or it won't set!
2 tablespoons of golden syrup (Lyles)
Tin of sweetened, condensed milk (not evaporated)
2 oz butter
3 oz water
Vanilla essence to taste (about 3-4 drops)

Put the butter, sugar, water and syrup in a pan and melt them together. Add the condensed milk and vanilla. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Keep at a slow, rolling boil for about 20- 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Take off the heat and beat vigorously for at least ten minutes. Pour into a well-greased, shallow tray. Allow to cool and then mark into squares. Chill in the fridge (best overnight). ENJOY.

The tablet is a much 'grainier' consistency than English fudge!

I see you've visited your sister, Ishbel!!!

Thank you so much for sharing your version. Tablet is truly a standard here and sure looks good, too, aside the chocolate fudge on a plate! I encourage everyone to try some today!

On that note, I finally have a low-humidity weekend with the time to make candy here.....YIPPEE!!!!!

Another thanks for this recipe, which I made last night in lieu of my own (cause it is so much easier...!!!)!

The Tablet is delicious, Ishbel! ;)

Im gonna make this soon, yay, lol. Homemade tablet is sooo much better than the bought stuff, i cant stand the bought stuff, its all fake and has no flavour other the sugar, theres no vanilla or buttery flavour

Back
Top Bottom