S'mores Bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Sprout and her family have been visiting since last Friday. We've been blueberry picking, playing, making jewelry, playing, eating the famous hamburgers at the West Pier, and playing. Sprout has introduced us to Shwarama, which is pretty tasty stuff. And me, I've been wanting to try out an idea that's been running around in my head, S'mores Bars. I looked on lie for a recipe. I found several, with each one offering their version. None of them resembled that simple camp fire delight I was after. So, after dinner last night I made this concoction, and it tastes just like S'mores. Score! Here's the recipe and technique.

Ingredients:
2 packages from a box of Honey Made Graham Crackers
1 1/2 sticks of butter
4 tbs. whipping cream
2 eleven and 1/2 oz. packages of chocolate chips
3 tbs. corn syrup
1 package mini-marshmallows

Preheat the oven to 400' F.
Heat the cream and corn syrup in a double boiler until hot, but not boiling. While the cream mixture is heating, pulverize the graham crackers into crumbs. Melt the butter and fold into the graham crackers.

Brush a thin layer of butter into a 9 X 12 casserole dish, or cake pan.

Slowly melt the chocolate chips into the hot cream and syrup. When it is melted and smooth, add a handful of mini marshmallows and stir in until incorporated. Remove from the heat.

Spread half of the cracker crumbs in the pan, to make a solid base. Distribute the marshmallows over the crumb crust. Pour the ganache (melted chocolate mixture) evenly over the marshmallows and spread to an even coating. Spread the remaining graham cracker crumbs evenly over the top. Place the remaining marshmallows evenly over the top.

Place the pan into the oven and bake for nine minutes.

Remove from the oven, and (this is the hard part, but you can do it) and let cool to room temperature. Cut into squares and serve.

Two things about this desert were delightful, first, it tastes just like S'mores, but without the campfire (so sad:(), and second, it comes out of the pan so easily. The chocolate firms up to the consistanct of good fudge, and the whole thing isn't all messy. It is wonderfully ooey-gooey (yest that's and accurate cullinary descriptor:LOL:) and rich, and sweet, and decadant, and, and.. Well, you get the idea.

Ok, so now you can satisfy that S'mores craving at Christmas time if you want, or for a birthday, or whenever you like, because you don't need to roast marshmallows over a fire to make them. But, if you get the chance, make that fire and roast the marshmallows to make S'mores around the campfire, or bonfire. It's more fun.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
In order to more closely duplicate the real thing, I'd have to use milk chocolate chips to represent the Hershey bar. I've never cared for semi-sweet in anything but toll house chocolate chip cookies (even then I reduce the quantity of chips when I make them) - in most things they just taste too bitter to to me. Otherwise it sounds interesting. :yum:

In order to more closely duplicate the real thing, I'd have to use milk chocolate chips to represent the Hershey bar. I've never cared for semi-sweet in anything but toll house chocolate chip cookies (even then I reduce the quantity of chips when I make them) - in most things they just taste too bitter to to me. Otherwise it sounds interesting. :yum:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I used Ghiradelli Milk chocolate chips, as my wife doesn't like dark chocolate (semi-sweet) chocolate. So go ahead.

I was thinking a couple nights back of another S'mores inspired treat. Take one marshmallow on a Popsicle stick, and dip into molten chocolate. Roll in graham cracker crumbs and let cool, to make S'mores truffles, or S'mores pops, depending on whether you remove the sticks or not.;):yum: I would keep them refrigerated.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

it tastes just like S'mores, but without the campfire (so sad:(),
I think it might be good if the marshmallows were browned with a little propane torch. I know I'd that.

Chief, thanks for the thread... my problem, Beloved Wife is allergic to chocolate. there are chocolate substitutes, but I'm afraid in our camp there are few S'mores.

Back
Top Bottom