What makes a "chewy" brownie "chewy" ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoke king

Sous Chef
My grandson loves the Ghiradelli brownies (box mix) I make them for him on a weekly basis. Trouble is, he doesnt care for scratch brownies I make for him-evidently, its the texture. My homemade brownies are more "cakelike" as opposed to the boxed variety that are more dense(?) and "chewy".

I'm not asking anyone to post entire recipes, but can anyone tell me what the difference (ingredient/technique etc) between the two is?

I can't help you there, but if I had my choice between a Cakie Brownie or Chewey Brownie, I'm going with the chewey one. lol

I would venture to say it is a mix of the shortening/oil/butter, and how long the mix is mixed for. The monger the mixing, the more gluten is developed in the flour, making a more rubbery...ermm, chewy, texture.

On some brownie mix boxes you are given the option of cake like or chewy brownies. The difference is one less egg for chewy brownies. (or one more for cake like brownies)

Maybe you could post the recipe so one of the baking experts can turn them into chewey brownies.

the recipe on the back on the nestle unsweetened choc squares are nice and chewy.
"One Bowl Brownies" they're called. From scratch and everything! No need to bother buying mix anymore. :)

I lied its the Baker's brand chocolate.

Here's the recipe
RecipeDetail

I skip the nuts. Have plenty here at home. ;)

Last edited:
Check these out from Fine Cooking mag- they're fantastic. I bake them for less time than indicated, about 31 - 32 minutes in a shiny pan. I like them both at room temp and chilled, but prefer them chilled. As with most brownies, chilling makes them fudgier.
Chewy Brownies - Fine Cooking

The main thing that will effect chewiness of a brownie is the Eggs and Fat. Here is an extremely nice chocolate brownie recipe that is nice and chewy...

Robert Noel's Chocolate Brownies

5oz - 72% chocolate
5oz - Butter
-------------------
5oz - Eggs
9.1oz - Sugar
.1 oz - Vanilla
Pinch - Salt
-------------------
4.5 oz bread flour

1) Melt chocolate and butter together.
2) combine sugar, eggs, vanilla, and salt.
3) Add chocolate/butter mixture to the Egg/sugar mixture.
4) Fold in flour.

Put in 6x9 pan and bake at 325 F for about 45 min.

*If you don't have bread flour then you can use 5 oz of All Purpose Flour.

Back
Top Bottom