Why are my brownies so flat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Why do my cakes and brownies become so thin? I made a nice pan of brownies last night, and fresh from the oven they were like a nice chocolat cake, about 2 inch thick.

I let them cool over night on a rack, and this morning they are 1/2 inch thick, like fudge!

Eric, Austin Tx.

Brownies tend to puff in the oven and then fall as they are cooling causing them to be fudgy, the higher ratio of fat, sugar and eggs compared to a cake recipe cause that. I zoomed in on the picture and those seemed pretty fudgy. You can always bake them longer to be a bit less fudgy, but you run the risk of them being hard.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Technique maybe ?

If you're making your brownie without a box mix, in others words with say a recipe such as this
https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?id=98
I have found that if I beat my room temperature (most important) eggs and then add them to the butter and sugar,
that I have beaten the heck out of to the point that the sugar is well incorporated
(as if the sugar has "dissolved" into the melted butter),
and then add the beaten eggs and really BEAT THE HECK of it with a wooden spoon,
until you think your arm is going to fall off,
and the batter has lightened in color,
I find that I get a better "lift" and a nice height on the finished product,
not to mention that they stay that way, they don't deflate,much anyways

brownies.jpg

WHEW! That was long winded, sorry :stuart:

You could try baking at a lower temperature for longer, to slow the rise and set the brownies before they come out, but note that that recipe seems short of flour to be a "cake" brownie.

(Make sure your oven isn't running hot. The amount of rise you describe seems a bit much, and that can be from high temperature popping the baking powder and air up quickly.

Ha Ha! I won first place in the at work desert contest today!

I guese maybe my brownies are just fine!

Perhaps, I just prefer my browneis more like a cake...

Eric austin tx.

The worst baking failure I've heard about is trying to substitute something else for real butter called for in a recipe. There's no sub for real butter or real bacon for that matter. You can't make bacon from turkey, or butter from oil.

I am following this thread because I made some "fudge" brownies from a national well known name brand, but it was half the price of their own more expensive brownie mix. So I went with that less expensive mix, mixed it up, poured it into one of those thin disposable aluminum baking square pans and baked it according to directions. I was surprised by how much it didn't rise during baking. I'm kinda stumped.

Are all brownie mixes fudge brownies? One package says fudge brownies, the other package doesn't mention fudge on the package. I thought that all brownies mixes were pretty much fudge brownie mixes.

Last edited:
I wonder if adding an extra teaspoon full of baking powder would solve the problem of flat brownies from a mix? Anytime I have made brownies from scratch they are always fudgy and high. Could it be that there just isn't enough baking powder or baking soda in the boxed mix ones? :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom